Community discussions

MikroTik App

SlayerCommand
just joined
Topic Author

Winbox for android, when?

Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:51 pm

Hello Team, someday will have the version of WinBox as the windows so that mobile for android? :D

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Winbox for android, when?

Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:54 pm

You can already use Webfig on any mobile device. Simply open the IP address of the router in your browser. in RouterOS v6 the functionality is identical to Winbox. We don't plan to make mobile apps.

SlayerCommand
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:29 am

You can already use Webfig on any mobile device. Simply open the IP address of the router in your browser. in RouterOS v6 the functionality is identical to Winbox. We don't plan to make mobile apps.
yes I already use webfig, so that many use version 5.22 for example, which has no webfig, some prefer not to upgrade to this version RCs because of probable bugs, in my opinion would be of good use for WinBox android OSs for less than 6.0 .

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:30 am

v5.22 also has the same webfig. the only difference is the icons

kolinsb
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:49 am

This app works very well :) i'm using it on my Samsung I9000 (SlimBean ROM)

Winbox for Android Free

EMOziko
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:07 pm

Webfig is "heavy" for phones.
Please port Winbox and also The Dude to android.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:51 pm

In what way is Webfig heavy for phones? It uses minimal traffic, and has nearly no graphics. Please clarify what you meant.

Masyanich
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:42 am

Yes, winbox for Android and Ios devices would be great! Much more pleasant to work in a familiar interface.

ste
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:42 am

I own a 10 inch Win8 Atom based Tablet now. Just runs winbox natively and works
fine with an USB-Ethernetadapter.
I guess this is the smartest Solution.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:54 am

Sorry but it is still not clear how Webfig is different from Winbox, if we are talking about Android. The only real difference is MAC connecivity, and that doesn't apply to phones anyway. So you already have Winbox for Android

Masyanich
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:42 am

The main difference in safety, I have completely closed for 80 port to device. Allowed only winbox connection . To use webfig, I need to keep port 80 open. This is not acceptable.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:57 am

You can change the Web access port to something else. You can also use HTTPS for managing the router, then disable port 80 and leave only 443 (or any other port which you will assign the SSL service)

netwpl

Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:45 pm

@masyanich

its just that easy..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Masyanich
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:53 pm

changing the port number will save me from bruteforce of admin password ? I do not think so ..

mrz
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:56 pm

Proper firewall will save you from bruteforce..

lyma
just joined

Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:34 pm

Sorry but it is still not clear how Webfig is different from Winbox, if we are talking about Android. The only real difference is MAC connecivity, and that doesn't apply to phones anyway. So you already have Winbox for Android
Real differences:
MAC Telnet
Save passwords and IPs...
Access port is not a comum web port (you can change)

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:59 pm

Real differences:
MAC Telnet
You can also change the Webfig port, plus Webfig is more secure because supports SSL

rmichael
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:31 am

Real differences:
MAC Telnet
You can also change the Webfig port, plus Webfig is more secure because supports SSL
To the contrary :D winbox is more secure because it supports TLS.

coffeecoco
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:10 am

come on seriously you have no idea what the difference is?

tikbox and winbox are pretty similar as far as usability goes, if you dont understand then just trust us, its DIFFERENT

thats like putting on a maxipad onto a wound, it does the same but dont mean its better

or saying lets remove winbox now, http does the same except mac telnet <--------- mikrotik your best attribute is your Winbox client.... you must know this!!!!

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:52 am

tikbox and winbox are pretty similar as far as usability goes, if you dont understand then just trust us, its DIFFERENT

thats like putting on a maxipad onto a wound, it does the same but dont mean its better

or saying lets remove winbox now, http does the same except mac telnet <--------- mikrotik your best attribute is your Winbox client.... you must know this!!!!
So, to be clear, you can't explain what is different, you just feel that way, correct?

neticted
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:19 am

Most obvious difference: Winbox fits the screen - Webfig does not (if you want readable letter size).

If you advertize application as mobile device friendly it does not mean just it displays HTML. HTML should be scaled for mobile devices.

InoX
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:54 pm

browsers in in android can't remember input user and password.

coffeecoco
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:39 pm

So, to be clear, you can't explain what is different, you just feel that way, correct?

Normis are you really that silly ? or are you having fun with us all ?

I assume you general manager of marketing ? if your not I can defiantly tell that you are not

Normis, Quiz

do you understand the meaning of UI Usability? IF no click this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_interface#Usability

^ read that part on usability, " Usability is the degree to which the design of a particular user interface takes into account the human psychology and physiology of the users, and makes the process of using the system effective, efficient and satisfying. "
Your lacking one of them right now

ohara

Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:48 pm

Have you never worked with support staff? If you are not careful enough they will turn you around and tell you that you don't understand your own requirements. No offence.

coffeecoco
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:12 am

Have you never worked with support staff? If you are not careful enough they will turn you around and tell you that you don't understand your own requirements. No offence.
mate that makes no sense. no offence

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:30 am

coffeecoco, maybe you misunderstood me. That was a valid question, I was asking for your opinion. I did not understand your point, I was asking for a clarification. Please summarize your suggestions, and I will forward them to the people responsible.

I think the language barrier is sometimes getting in the way.

coffeecoco
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:45 am

coffeecoco, maybe you misunderstood me. That was a valid question, I was asking for your opinion. I did not understand your point, I was asking for a clarification. Please summarize your suggestions, and I will forward them to the people responsible.

I think the language barrier is sometimes getting in the way.
my bad, Ill do my best give me a bit to get back to you

lyma
just joined

Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:04 pm

Real differences:
MAC Telnet

The biggest problem (for me) are the heavy browsers in smartphone, Normis. :(

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:21 am

I have an old phone with a tiny screen (2.9" i think). I use Google Chrome and it works great. I don't recommend a phone as your ONLY access to a router, but for simple tasks, it works fine
Screenshot_2013-01-29-10-19-20.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

estdata
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:44 pm

I found it by means of the link but if someone to make a get Android app for things, then let me know

https://play.google.com/store/search?q=mikrotik+&c=apps

coffeecoco
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:08 am

I have an old phone with a tiny screen (2.9" i think). I use Google Chrome and it works great. I don't recommend a phone as your ONLY access to a router, but for simple tasks, it works fine
Screenshot_2013-01-29-10-19-20.png

Define Great, its not better is it? or equal, what matters is that there are more than just you that use it, on a scale "great" to some of us is or not worth using<--

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:54 pm

great means I can get all stuff done without issues, and without wishing for anything else.

Do you plan to configure your routers only from a phone? I though phone was only the backup plan, therefore webfig is good enough. If you have other plans for it, maybe your expectations are higher.

ditonet
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:48 am

Today I've made WebFig test with Android phone (3.7" screen size).
It's possible to manage router from phone without problems.
But as Normis wrote, treat your phone as a backup device.
Just my two cents...

Regards,

Devin

Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:46 am

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... xPro&hl=en

This right here has limited functionality, but for what I would use it for on my phone it is good for viewing information. I would probably never use my phone to make changes to production routes because touch screen phones suck sometimes. My luck I would put in a drop rule and hit enter bam I would have to get on a computer anyway and l2 into the device from a neighbor mikrotik.

przent

Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:52 am

This might be of interest here:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=n ... px=MTI5MjA

Hope cross-site linking is ok...

nandoferbr
just joined

Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:28 am

great means I can get all stuff done without issues, and without wishing for anything else.

Do you plan to configure your routers only from a phone? I though phone was only the backup plan, therefore webfig is good enough. If you have other plans for it, maybe your expectations are higher.

Hello,

I have mikrotik in a rb493ah and I'm trying to use webfig on a mobile android v4.1.1 mt6577 processor 1.2ghz dual core, screen 5.5 "and GPU PowerVR sgx531t.
I realized that webfig has a slow interface and limited in comparison with the WinBox.

In dhcp lease option I have 752 items and webfig is very slow on mobile for any change in leases. I have tested webfig access to phone with Internet access 5Mbps or wi-fi lan in direct Rb493ah and slowness persists. However with a Core2Duo computer access is regular speed, but still slower than winbox commands.

Definitely the webfig is slow to be used in mobile phones androids, tested on some option, show many items listed as ppp secrets, neighbors list, dhcp leases upper 300 500 1000... items. Try change someone item on this scenaries.

WinBox for Android is a lot of expectation for us that we believe is a much more intuitive and fast tool than webfig today. Please make WinBox for android or create webfig interface less heavy for Androids hardwares.

Thank you

nandoferbr
MTCNA, MTCWE certification
MASTERCABO ISP
MONTES CLAROS-MG BRAZIL

this post, created on Android mobile phone

Fernando Cordeiro Leite
+55-38-9112-1558 Tim
+55-38-9743-6953 Vivo
Janaja-Capitão Enéas / Francisco Sa

deserted
just joined

Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:43 am

my 2 cents:
Firstly, Thanks for having great products at low prices...
(scenario)
I have just climbed a 250 foot tower to align a large dish connected to a Routerboard. I used to carry a small netbook to run winbox so I could read dB, CCQ, Et AL and adjust antennas accordingly (which worked flawlessly). The netbook is now in about 6000 pieces strewn about the base of the tower because of a very strong unanticipated wind. I now use my smartphone with "webfig". The problem is that the web interface will not store passwords and disconnects VERY frequently compared to winbox. So, I type in my username and password with numb fingers, navigate to the wireless-registration page, then to navigate to show the signal on the link... now get the wrench and start adjusting... lose connection, put away wrench, re-login username and password, navigate, get wrench, adjust, lose connection, wrench, password, navigate..... over and over, very FRUSTRATING!!!
What I mean by "disconnect" is that the browser "kicks me back" to the login page with a message in red. Something about an "internal error". Hence the need to login again.
Winbox almost never had this behaviour even when the laptop's wireless connection wasn't "stable".
In closing, if you won't "port" winbox to android, please fix webfig (especially remembering credentials and less disconnects on less than stable wireless connections)
Thanks again.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:57 am

my 2 cents:
(scenario)
I have just climbed a 250 foot tower to align a large dish connected to a Routerboard. I used to carry a small netbook to run winbox so I could read dB, CCQ, Et AL and adjust antennas accordingly (which worked flawlessly). The netbook is now in about 6000 pieces strewn about the base of the tower because of a very strong unanticipated wind. I now use my smartphone with "webfig". The problem is that the web interface will not store passwords and disconnects VERY frequently compared to winbox. So, I type in my username and password with numb fingers, navigate to the wireless-registration page, then to navigate to show the signal on the link... now get the wrench and start adjusting... lose connection, put away wrench, re-login username and password, navigate, get wrench, adjust, lose connection, wrench, password, navigate..... over and over, very FRUSTRATING!!!
What I mean by "disconnect" is that the browser "kicks me back" to the login page with a message in red. Something about an "internal error". Hence the need to login again.
Winbox almost never had this behaviour even when the laptop's wireless connection wasn't "stable".
In closing, if you won't "port" winbox to android, please fix webfig (especially remembering credentials and less disconnects on less than stable wireless connections)
Thanks again.
Please give us more details about the phone you use, the browser, the operating system version, and the router you are connecting to. I use webfig all the time, it can stay open for hours in the PC. Not sure about the phone. Maybe it has something to do with your phones power saving settings?

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:51 am

my 2 cents:
(scenario)
Thanks again.
I can fully underwrite this.
Winbox sessions (or webfix) in windows machines are stable. In my android, or my windows phone the connections I make with webfix indeed disconnect all the time. I have no idea why because similiar session in W8 laptop stays alive. Very frustrating..... up to a level I hate now to use my tablet to login a router.

Apart from that, winbox for windows is soo much nicer and more stable (apart from the 'extra' mac level access AND the neigbour tool!!) that I don't understand the discussion on this tread as saying we don't need winbox for android because we have webfix!

Winbox just has a better GUI in respect it is better visible in a screen under difficult circumstances (backlight, sunlight).
Winbox doesn't need a browser, webfig does. What's wrong with that? Well, if your portable device is wireless (or cable) connecting to routerboard but the dhcp-client is not getting a valid IP you have to wait minutes (IE, Firefox slightly better) before the browser understands he will not get an IP and lets you manage the browser further. Winbox just waits until the adapter is set to a default IP and inmediate you can access board with the mac lever access.

When the board is not arranging an IP to the client, or its own IP has an issue, or there is an IP conflict, webfix is just useless. So here we are, with the client, with my webfix on the mobile/tablet, and all I can tell the client I can't access the routerboard and have to come back with a laptop with winbox later...... what a performance! So I have to bring my laptop at all times, because usually when troubleshooting at the client, it might well be I can't use the android to do the troubleshooting......

By default I have port 80 blocked for MT CPE's to prevent client 'sniffing around' in the router. So I can set another port for access, but sometimes a router is a transparant bridge, sometimes it is routed. So sometimes similar port is used for routerboard access, which in other situation is the client's wifi router's adress or anything else. Browsers are very annoying when it comes to switching to another port for access to the same IP, special if something is wrong...
With winbox I don't have all these problems. I can just always log in as long as the ethernet works.....

So yes, a good winbox version for android (tablets) is definately a pro! (The earlier shown 'winbox for andriod' is nice, even the pro version, but not complete and not very handy. Before you know you closed the interface you are looking at and thrown yourself off line. Icons or information is not scalable and the info presented is not always the info I am looking for....)

I give 2 very fat ++ for a android winbox version that has same options as the windows winbox.

(In fact I am so frustrated about not being able to use my Samsung 10" tablet for troubleshouting in the field in a decent way I fell back to my old WinXP laptop and am now considering to buy myself a new W8 tablet/laptop crossover with touchscreen....
Only because for android there is not a good tool to work with ROS. That sucks... :( )

deserted
just joined

Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:13 pm

my 2 cents:
(scenario)
Thanks again.
Please give us more details about the phone you use, the browser, the operating system version, and the router you are connecting to. I use webfig all the time, it can stay open for hours in the PC. Not sure about the phone. Maybe it has something to do with your phones power saving settings?
I use an HTC G2 with Gingerbread 2.3.4, default browser, I have "sleep mode" set to 30 minutes when using webfig, phone is set with static IP when working on tower. The routerboards in question are numerous; everything from RB433 ROS 3.30 to RB711GA-5HnD running ROS 5.24 (I don't upgrade ROS unless I am having a problem or need functionality only offered by newer ROS).
I believe the disconnects to be a "time-out" issue; because I use this mostly in high-RF environments where the WiFi signal can go from 5 bars to 0 bars just by moving 3 feet, I think the "refresh" on the webfig is timing out. My netbook and laptop WiFi connection can drop and re-establish in a few seconds. My phone takes 10 to 20 seconds to completely re-establish a dropped WiFi connection.
I wouldn't mind all this as much if the browser would (even temporarily) store the username and password. My large numb fingers on the tiny phone usually mistype the password at least a few times.
Again, your desktop browser (probably windows based on a PC with an ethernet or stable WiFi connection) is not really a suitable test-case. We are talking about android with it's "stripped-down" browser.
I (hopefully) won't be climbing soon, but I will try another browser or 2 next time I do climb.
In the mean time, if you could convince the team to add the option of "remembering" the login credentials that would be awesome!

ohara

Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:52 pm

I use iTap mobile RDP on android phone with 4.7 inch screen to connect to the host that is running Winbox and Dude. By watching parameters of the access point through remote desktop I am able to align the CPE. I know that I am not the only person who does that.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:30 am

It is a known android issue in v2.3, one of the main reasons I also upgraded to android 4. gingerbread has lots of wifi issues, I suggest you to upgrade if possible. I also had disconnections and timeouts, they are all gone after the upgrade.

Like I said, I have not seen any issues with Webfig or wifi disconnections. It might be a phone issue after all

bbj
just joined

Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:57 pm

agreed, maybe if webfig was converted to html5( i have no idea if it currently is or isint html5)

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:08 pm

agreed, maybe if webfig was converted to html5( i have no idea if it currently is or isint html5)
it is

bbj
just joined

Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:10 pm

it is
i wonder if chrome for android is may required to make android happy with webfig..

i think the biggest issue with usin android on a routerboard is gettin the device onto the sameip network. you would needto carry around a second Ap for your phone to connect to and then browse to the devices you wanna see or hop onto your home network via 3g an ten break out into whatever network you're working on

dorijan
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:56 am

The feature I miss the most is mac telnet and mac discovery on android. If I could have that, all other is not important...I can set ip address and continue to work as I please, but without that, I cannot even connect. Is there a way that someone will compile mac-telnet ( https://github.com/haakonnessjoen/MAC-Telnet ) for Android?

...thx to all....

kashifmac2005

Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:08 am

The main difference in safety, I have completely closed for 80 port to device. Allowed only winbox connection . To use webfig, I need to keep port 80 open. This is not acceptable.
lolz What kind of nobleness is this. On custom port i am using webfig on android easily and happy with that and i also knw that if there is winbox app for android that will also be same like webfig so why waste time on this rather then focusing on ROS improvement and more other features.

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:30 pm

or set-up certificate for https access via '/ip services'

patrickmkt
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:24 pm

I understand that it may be a PITA to have to enter a secured password for webfig while working on a mast. To avoid lowering the security of the login, why not having a certificate authentication available for webfig? You would just need to load the proper cert in your browser cert store and then you won't have to enter any password at all for login in webfig.
Now that ROS is checking the CRL it would even be easier to manage credential for multiple technicians remotely. Each tech has his own cert, and I can revoke one on all my devices by just updating my crl.

krafg
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:44 pm

Webfig is:

- Very slow
- no have windows to see múltiple information simultaniusly.
- logouts everytime

In galaxy note 3 with chrome.

SystemErrorMessage

Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:17 am

Winbox for android is a very good idea and i'll list why.

1) Winbox can operate on layer 2 mac instead of ip which really helps if you are on a different ip network or if you are locked out from the router from layer 3.

2) Winbox for mobile devices or tablets can be made to fit the screen better compared to the web config. Web browsers on mobile devices use a lot of resources and the ARM A7 and A9 are very poor choices to use for web browsing. The samsung galaxy s3 uses a quad core ARM A9 CPU and newer smartphones that are cheap use quad core ARM A7s which are even less of an out of order processor which web code will run even worse on.

3) Winbox provides better real time monitoring than the web version. Being able to have the CPU usage, ram, uptime, etc on the top in real time is a nice thing to have.

4) Winbox safe mode since it is very easy to misstouch something on phones.

So normis you release a hEX for home users but you do not release home friendly features. This would really help with that and i think even engineers or admins would really prefer to be able to configure their devices from their hands instead of a computer. Relying on web config is a poor choice for these devices that have CPUs with less logic performance.

deanMKD1

Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:11 am

For me also, Android 4.4.4 and Chrome dont have a problems at all !

For all you, that want great alternative to Wbefig, and use the WinBox functionality, this app is for you.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mesquitestudio.tiktool&hl=en

krafg
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:25 pm

TikTool only permits manage one device. For more, you need pay.