Community discussions

MikroTik App

TonyJr
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

HP Printer - won't send pckts to other subnet. nat rule?

Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:36 am

Hello,

I have a home version HP printer. I use 2 subnets. One for wireless and one for wired, both with different IP ranges.

The printer won't send packets to a different subnet to the one it is on. It receives them OK though. This is through design in the firmware.

Is there any way I can use a NAT rule, if the printer has a fixed IP address, to get around this from printing from the different subnet? Just an idea.

It's simply annoying me. Not necessary to fix it, as I can email the printer, but would be nice to have it work properly with the other subnet.

setup example:

'ether1' 192.168.32.0/24
client 192.168.32.7/32

'wlan1' 172.16.32.0/24
printer 172.16.32.6/32

Temporary fix is: cabled printer is put into the same vlan as the wireless clients as they use the printer more than the wired ones.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Tony

CelticComms
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: HP Printer - won't send pckts to other subnet. nat rule?

Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:16 pm

You could put the printer on a static IP and simply masquerade the traffic destined for it on egress from the routerboard. The printer will then see that traffic as originating from the routerboard's IP on its local subnet.

Which HP printer model is this? I have seen some HP printers do weird things with traffic from other subnets but RMAing the printer usually fixes it! HP have had some firmware issues in that area.