Community discussions

MikroTik App

WisperISP
just joined
Topic Author

Keeping traffic going to stop drops

Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:49 am

I have posted before about this problem, but have not received a solution, just that I need to upgrade the MT software.

I am using MT with Prism 200mw cards and 13dbi omni antennas for my APs. I am using 2511 CB3 deluxe for the CPE equipment.

None of my customers complain about being disconnected or even losing packets, but as a network admin I do not like it. A lot of my CB3 disconnect and reconnect on a regular basis. It looks likes the AP steps down its power or something and I loose a -66 connection and then it comes right back.

If I replace the CB3 with an MT the connect does not drop at all. If I replace the AP with any other AP the connection does not drop at all.

Is this a MT problem or a CB3 problem?

Oh if I ping the device every 10 seconds they do not drop out!?!?!

Thanks for the help.

Brad

Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:06 am

I have this issue as well and it drives me insane. My associations don't drop off, just the PPPoE sessions themselves. I will have about 10-12 of a total of 14 all drop at the same time and then they just randomly come back as a packet is sent from their connection that causes their router to reconnect via PPPoE. Some days I will lose all 10-12 every couple of hours and some days it will only happen every 10 hours or so but it is very uncommon for me to see multiple days of uptime on PPPoE connections except on a few sessions.

HarvSki

Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:35 pm

I use PPPoe and do not suffer this problem even with connections that do not have any data traffic for days. I do have the Keep-Alive on the PPPoE server set to 10.

http://www.mikrotik.com/docs/ros/2.8/in ... oe.content

Brad

Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:47 pm

My keep-alive is also set to 10. I am running 2.8.12. What version are you running?

HarvSki

Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:04 pm

I'm using 2.8.13 but I've not had this problem with any MT version so I guess you're right and that leaves the AP. Is there a power save mode in operation?

I've noticed this on just one connections and it seems to be due do a poor LOS problem, ie huge evergreen oak tree.

yogi
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Sep 11, 2004 12:06 pm

WisperISP - exact same setup and exact same problem. Never solved it per say. Upgrade to atheros on the MT repeater and watch the log file diminish. I used to go nuts watching the logs while clients flicked on and off.

The balance of the replys here dont address that problem. Even with the wireless problems experienced, PPPoE never died.