MikroTik App

pekr
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

WDS vs bridge advantage?

Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:07 pm

Hi,

I decided to start few threads with smaller amount of question, for you to easily answer, instead of long list of question. The thing is, that I read docs, but sometimes I miss simple details, which can take me further in MT OS understanding :-)

So here we go:

we have two radios in one router PC, which we put into bridge, from historical pov, as former Ovislink based solution simply had two Ovislinks, but on one IP network.

My question is:

- we used bridge for those two APs. What is the difference in making it a WDS bride? Any particular advantage? Should we use STP? My understanding is, that WDS is used if you want to bridge some remote APs, not two APs in one router physically?

- When I put e.g. radio and ethernet in a bridge, is there any speed problem here? I mean - does ethernet communication slow to the on pair with its radio counterpart?

Thanks a lot :-)
-pekr-

valens
Trainer
Trainer

Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:14 pm

pekr, you should use bridge, not WDS to put 2 interface in one router into same subnet. You need STP only if you have a bridge loop, so you can set priority, like a routing in route traffic.

Bridge vs routing? You can see the different only if your traffic high enough.

pekr
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:24 pm

Hi Valens,

thanks for your reply. Are you the one who gave his presentation during the MUM conference? :-) I was sitting in the first line :-)

-pekr-

valens
Trainer
Trainer

Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:24 pm

pekr : thx for remembering me. :)