Community discussions

MikroTik App

tduchch
Topic Author

Beta Questions

Tue Aug 24, 2004 4:19 pm

Hello, we are new to Mikrotik but so far like the product. We purchased an ISP license, and are willing to buy Level 6 if we can get this all working.

First, we are using the beta because of multiple DHCP clients.

Our current configuration is:

Two ethernet cards (eth0 eth2) connected to two ADSL 4.0MBPS lines.
Both cards pull IP's just fine using DHCP.

eth1 is our local card.

We have enabled NAT, masquerading, DHCP Server. All clients can connect to the router and surf the Internet just fine.

We also set up some static routings so that some address spaces were routed over eth0 or eth1 as required. These also work fine.

Our problem is, the box does not load balance traffic between the two ADSL lines. If we look at the next hop area, both gateways are listed, the only odd thing is that eth2 is listed first and eth0 is second, but this should make no difference. In this setup all traffic that does not have a static route goes out eth2.

I then added two default routes with equal weighting listing eth0 first, then eth2. If I do a route print, it now shows them in this order. In this scenario, all traffic is routed out eth0.

It would be very benneficial if load balancing would work.
I have the same scenario working fine on Redhat Linux ES V3.0

My second question concerns MSN Messenger, I have read on this forum that Mikrotik has a problem with MSN voice and video. This is a big concern as a lot of people today use MSN. And if MSN does not work, I have concerns over VoIP and future IP products. I also have not had a problem with this under Redhat.

I would prefer to use Mikrotik because of PPPoE radius support, the P2P bandwidth controls, etc.

Thanks in Advance;
Terry
Netago Wireless

tduchch
Topic Author

Beta Load Balance

Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:51 pm

Ok, I figured out the load balance I think.

I had defined two default routes instead of one default route with two gateways.

Why in the IP Route level does "remove" not work?
I get the following error "std failure: not implemented (3)"

RaynMan

Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:10 pm

I use MSN video (and have used voice but switched to Skype for better quality) and both worked fine with the RouterOS v.2.8.13...

I haven't seen any problems with the using the Mikrotik and MSN Messenger (so far)...

gianluca
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Sep 04, 2004 7:23 pm

well

I use 2 gateways that routes high rpiority traffic to 1 adsl and p2p to another. works fine

I have problemas with voice and video of messenger, but apparently we should have a look at how messenger works and probably set up a dst-nat

tduchch
Topic Author

MSN Messenger

Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:47 am

Had a chance to work with MSN a little tonight.

The video worked without a hitch, but am having trouble getting audio through. My be a problem with the remote computer though, I am not sure they had it configured properly.

gianluca
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:56 am

that's excactly what happens to me, no audio at all, video is ok, seems just to be a litle bit slow but might be the queue tree that is slowing it down.

But the voice is not working at all. Any idea ?

RaynMan

Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:03 am

When I initially tried MSN voice I had a problem with my firewall...Checking the logs showed hundreds of blocked packets...

I can't recall what I did to fix it, but I will check tonight when I get home...

It might be an idea to check the firewall logs and see if there if a glitch there...