Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

osvaldotcf
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

RB1200 Switch Chip - Vlan and IP

Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:16 pm

Could anyone help me with the configuration of RB1200 to use your switch chip to work with vlan with ip in RB itself?

Neilson
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: RB1200 Switch Chip - Vlan and IP

Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:18 pm

The 1200 has the atheros 8316 switch chip. Therefore the following instructions would work to operate VLAN's in the switch chip itself.

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Sw ... heros_8316

The switch chip itself (as far as I can recall) can't manage ip addresses itself so you would have to somehow pass the traffic up to the CPU port to handle it there.

If you are going all that way and losing the wire speed switching when you involve the CPU port then I would advise just bridging the ethernet ports you want (especially if you plan to use more than 5 ports as the 1200 only has one, five port switch group) then you add the VLAN's to the bridge and add the IP Address you want to the VLAN interfaces.

If you want more help with this I am sure there are plenty of people on here who can and will help. Come back with some more information on what you want to do and we can help.

Regards
Alexander

osvaldotcf
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: RB1200 Switch Chip - Vlan and IP

Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:00 am

The 1200 has the atheros 8316 switch chip. Therefore the following instructions would work to operate VLAN's in the switch chip itself.

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Sw ... heros_8316

The switch chip itself (as far as I can recall) can't manage ip addresses itself so you would have to somehow pass the traffic up to the CPU port to handle it there.

If you are going all that way and losing the wire speed switching when you involve the CPU port then I would advise just bridging the ethernet ports you want (especially if you plan to use more than 5 ports as the 1200 only has one, five port switch group) then you add the VLAN's to the bridge and add the IP Address you want to the VLAN interfaces.

If you want more help with this I am sure there are plenty of people on here who can and will help. Come back with some more information on what you want to do and we can help.

Regards
Alexander
Oh, thank you!

The problem is exactly what you put, I will try to Bridge.
I need an ip in a vlan on a switch port. I want traffic that is not on vlan not go through the cpu, only to have the header vlan.