Community discussions

MikroTik App

samuelperes
just joined
Topic Author

PPPoE idle-timeout

Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:15 pm

Hi,

I noticed that the 6.0rc11 version, the feature idle-timeout on PPPoE connections is not working . I'm setting the value of 5 minutes in any profile and does not work. The user remains connected for days without generating any traffic.

solution?

soamz

Re: PPPoE idle-timeout

Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:04 am

Same question I have.
How to get it working ?
I dont even see the option.

Im on RouterOS v6.28

pbr3000
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:56 am

From the manual:

keepalive-timeout (time; Default: "10") Defines the time period (in seconds) after which the router is starting to send keepalive packets every second. If there is no traffic and no keepalive responses arrive for that period of time (i.e. 2 * keepalive-timeout), the non responding client is proclaimed disconnected.

Maybe there is keepalive responses coming from the user and the tunnel remains up. Have you checked it?
If yes, I suppose it should work that way.

Edit: the option is in PPP, PPPoE Servers, choose the service and open it, Keepalive Timeout.

soamz

Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:32 am

From the manual:

keepalive-timeout (time; Default: "10") Defines the time period (in seconds) after which the router is starting to send keepalive packets every second. If there is no traffic and no keepalive responses arrive for that period of time (i.e. 2 * keepalive-timeout), the non responding client is proclaimed disconnected.

Maybe there is keepalive responses coming from the user and the tunnel remains up. Have you checked it?
If yes, I suppose it should work that way.

I went to PPP > PPPoE Servers >> Clicked on the 1 item it had.
IT shows Keep Alive Timeout as 900.

Then I went to Profiles > default one clicked
Session Timeout is blank and Idle Timeout is 00.10.00.

And the PPPoE details are set on the customer end wireless device CPE.
Do you think we should set this in their PC and not their CPE ?
But there is again another problem. If we set it to PC, then they have to switch on PC always when they want to use internet. Its again not a solution.

And then if we ask them to switch off the device, they wont do that too.

So, isn't there a way to simply disconnect the customer, until he really comes back and tries to access something ?

soamz

Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:34 am

Yes there is no traffic or no data transfer ABSOLUTELY from those customers, but still the device stays connected all the time.
Means, even if someone is not using it, the device is on and eating the IP for no use.

pbr3000
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:01 am

I understand your problem now. You want to release the IP when there is no traffic from the user.
The CPE stay connected because it keeps sending keepalive packets to pppoe server and the server don't drops the tunnel. This is the normal behavior. I set the pppoe credentials on the cpe too. If you set it on the pc you'll need to ask the user to power off the pc. Sounds pointless too.
Session timeout on the other hand will disconnect the user after the given time, ex: 20 minutes. But the customer may be using data during this period. My suggestion is (if you use radius) to check data traffic on the radacct table. If there are no traffic after an certain time period, you can send a disconnect packet that will drop the user from the server and release the ip.

Maybe anyone have a better idea?

soamz

Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:07 am

I understand your problem now. You want to release the IP when there is no traffic from the user.
The CPE stay connected because it keeps sending keepalive packets to pppoe server and the server don't drops the tunnel. This is the normal behavior. I set the pppoe credentials on the cpe too. If you set it on the pc you'll need to ask the user to power off the pc. Sounds pointless too.
Session timeout on the other hand will disconnect the user after the given time, ex: 20 minutes. But the customer may be using data during this period. My suggestion is (if you use radius) to check data traffic on the radacct table. If there are no traffic after an certain time period, you can send a disconnect packet that will drop the user from the server and release the ip.

Maybe anyone have a better idea?

Good idea!
But how will the server know, when the customer comes back close to his computer or just tries to access Facebook on his phone ?