Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

fgonzalez
just joined
Topic Author

VPN site to site and other services

Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:55 am

Hi fellow Mikrotik users..

I'm brand new with Mikrotik and basically looking for some advice. Our office has seven branches and one central site trying to deploy a site to site VPN. I have some success in a test environment using two off the shelf linux servers with OpenVPN in UDP mode but we don't want all the burden of buy all the stuff (servers, licenses and UPS) and administer the seven servers (backup) in the branch offices. So I found Mikrotik in Google, and want to try it :D

Our needs are the following:

Central site with the branch offices:
1. Running apps through Remote Desktop.
2. File sharing.
3. Trend Micro Business Antivirus.
4. 24/7 operation time needed with the seven sites.

Central site:
1. Proxy server for web surfing and e-mail. We need to limit the web access with the proxy.
2. Load balancing our web surfing and e-mail access with two different ISP. One with fixed IP and the other with dynamic IP address. Obviously the VPN tunnel will be deployed with the first one :)
3. Road warrior VPN service (a bunch of five laptops with Windows 7 and XP).
4. Firewall.

Branch offices:
1. DHCP server.
2. Proxy server for web surfing and e-mail. We need to limit the web access with the proxy and save some bandwidth for the VPN service.
3. Firewall.
4. Each office has between three and five Windows computers with Windows 7 and XP, near 30 clients I think...

Now some questions:

1. Which Mikrotik hardware and software (RouterOS level) do I need?
2. The hardware in the central site is capable to support the seven tunnels at the same time?.
3. VoIP to be implemented in the future, Mikrotik has any hardware that could run Asterisk?.

I have included a diagram of our network.

Best regards!

Francisco
Mikrotik.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

flop.m@usa.net
just joined

Re: VPN site to site and other services

Fri May 24, 2013 6:27 pm

Mikrotik does not offer OpenVPN over UDP. I just figure this out and I'm looking into Vyatta for now.

Good luck in your project.

Ivoshiee

Sat May 25, 2013 6:30 am

Mikrotik does not offer OpenVPN over UDP. I just figure this out and I'm looking into Vyatta for now.

Good luck in your project.
Over TCP it is working for them. I wonder why UDP is not supported?

c0d3rSh3ll
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat May 25, 2013 11:38 pm

1. Which Mikrotik hardware and software (RouterOS level) do I need?

the rb1100ahx2 is the best hardware for central office, en the remote office you can use a rb450G.

2. The hardware in the central site is capable to support the seven tunnels at the same time?.

yes,

3. VoIP to be implemented in the future, Mikrotik has any hardware that could run Asterisk?.

yes, read the metarouter with asterisk from http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=32187
nothing