Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

jeremyh
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

How to approach this queue/QoS scenario?

Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:16 am

Hello,

I have an rb2011uas-2hnd which is working very well as a simple router/gateway with NAT on our home network (with bridged pppoe modem).

I've had it for about 6 months now and have experimented with setting various simple queues, QTs, mangle rules, PCQ and so on. However I can't seem to get them to work correctly and it's just a mess of (failed) experiments, and I am just getting frustrated and annoyed.

I would like to start from scratch and set it up in a logical way. However I'm not sure what the best way would be - so I thought if I listed my requirements, someone would suggest the best way of tacking them, as far as what mechanism (PCQ, QT, mangle etc) to use.

I live in a share house with two others and I simply want to ensure smooth and responsive internet traffic, especially when someone is streaming or using p2p.

Highest Priority: Interactive traffic (DNS, SSH etc), Skype/VoIP, Quake3 (Quake Live), IM traffic, other UDP traffic like Apple Facetime.
Mid Priority: HTTP and HTTPS web traffic
Lowest Priority: P2P and everything else

What would be the best way to accomplish this? Should I just create queues (queue trees or simple queues..?) for each class of traffic, or should I be using PCQ as well?

Many thanks for any suggestions.