Total votes: 27

2dfx
just joined
Topic Author

Vote for support UDP OenVPN

Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:39 pm

Hi all!
I like Mikrotik, and I like OpenVPN.
Let's vote for supporting UDP Openvpn in new releases RouterOS!

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Vote for support UDP OenVPN

Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:17 pm

Waste of time, really.

People want it, they (MikroTik) know that already. But just because people want it, was not good enough reason for them to do something about it so far.

Perhaps some new creative approach to the problem might work... a nice big gift basket for programmers or some other kind of bribe, maybe? :)

Or more seriously, think about some way to get original OpenVPN into RouterOS, because the current self-written implementation (as I understood it) does not go anywhere. Basically it means either violating GPL (bad), finding some clever way how to use GPL source without violating licence (does not go well with closed-source RouterOS, but maybe something could be thought up?) or buying commercial licence from OpenVPN creators (but it could be too expensive to pay for itself).
People who quote full posts should be spanked with ethernet cable. Some exceptions for multi-topic threads may apply.

przent

Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:30 pm

Waste of time, really.
Or more seriously, think about some way to get original OpenVPN into RouterOS, because the current self-written implementation (as I understood it) does not go anywhere. Basically it means either violating GPL (bad), finding some clever way how to use GPL source without violating licence (does not go well with closed-source RouterOS, but maybe something could be thought up?) or buying commercial licence from OpenVPN creators (but it could be too expensive to pay for itself).
OpenVPN license is not in the way if you would want to hack something by yourself. if you publish your changes, you can do it under GPL and it will cost nothing. The problem is, that there are neighter full sources nor an SDK (environment to develop programs) available for RouterOS. That makes RouterOS as much developer friendly and extensible as ciscos iOS for example with the difference that cisco has tons of developers and contractors who take care of the system. Mikrotik has a few developers which are basically good but totally overloaded with the amount of work. With CCR not hitting the target, they seam even much more under presure. As a senior software developer in telco business, I can image the situation very good. Maybe Mikrotik should reconsider some comunity help. I`m pretty sure that some non critical parts which have notoriously poor quality (NTP, Graphing, OpenVPN, Proxy, BTest, dhcp,... just to name some) do not contain any unique and top secret intellectual property and could be made public with access to community to help to spot and fix problems without loosing on the business side and helping competitors.

elgrandiegote

Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:02 pm

It might be a waste of time, have long been asking for these features, but hey maybe someday we'll get lucky