Community discussions

MikroTik App

spoiler
Topic Author

API bugs

Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:55 pm

With the new versions including those on the 6 branch, API is becoming more unstable and erratic.

Some of the new 'bugs' noticed:
-SNMP: Some devices have default community (the one with the '*') which can not be deleted and some other devices do not have them. It would be nice that it was not hardware dependent.
-SNMP: Some versions report ['target-adress'] and some ['target-addresses'] for the communities.
-Some RB devices (and seem to be version independent, tested with 5.19,5.21,5.24) respond incorrect values to most of the queries, but in a random manner. In the returned data, the 'array' is correctly keyed but values are not... for example the /system identity returns [name] => '', which is a string but not the correct one. In my case it is a 433AH. Completely crazy on this one... :shock:
-In version 6.rc11, when adding queues, the are added with incorrect values, for example the name of the queue or 'queue' value (referring to the queue type, which always adds as 'default-small' and leads to catastrophic performance in heavy traffic queues)
EDIT: This is not the case... i have found a problem in my code.
-When launching auto-upgrade downloads via API, the tend to 'die' before reaching 100% and being unable to apply the update. No problem if it is launched using the button on winbox.
EDIT: I have discovered that if you disconnect the API session, the download will die in a few seconds... but if you don't, it finishes ok. Better if it was not needed.

Some of these have programmatic workarounds but we have to be patching our code very often... :?

It would be nice the have a solid API interface as big networks need it to be manageable...
Last edited by spoiler on Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: API bugs

Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:29 am

there is very simple way on how to check if API is working correctly:

head over to wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/API
get python API client example (preferrably for python2 branch)
try out queries you are interested in, compare outputs from your tool, if they differ, problem is within your client. Also, you can check packet sniff results to see if data contained in packet is in what state.