Community discussions

MikroTik App

hwmonkey
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Log Spectrum Analysis??

Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:45 pm

I want to run a remote spectrum analysis across a link and see the results. If I run the analysis, the link goes down. So, I run a timed analysis using:
/interface wireless spectral-scan duration=20 range=5ghz
Doing this, the analysis is run and stopped after 20 seconds. This works great for local connections. But for a remote link, the link drops and my sessions time out. Then, I cannot see the results.

So, can I create a log, or a saved export of the output produced from a spectrum analysis? If possible, I can run the spectrum analysis, have results saved to a file, and when the link re-establishes a few seconds later, I can view the saved file which displays the results of the spectrum analysis? If so, how? If not, is there another option?

A BIG Thanks!

jgellis
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Log Spectrum Analysis??

Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:15 pm

/interface wireless spectral-scan duration=20 range=5ghz save-file-name=remotescan

hwmonkey
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:59 pm

/interface wireless spectral-scan duration=20 range=5ghz save-file-name=remotescan
When I do this, the terminal session crashes. The save-file-name option is not listed in the manual either (http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Spectral_scan). Are you sure? (I am on 6.0RC10)
Last edited by hwmonkey on Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

skot
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:54 am

In a terminal, type /interface wireless spectral-scan, and then press the TAB key. It will show you available commands.

In v5.24 the save-file-name option shows up, but I don't have ability to test it :).

hwmonkey
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:34 am

Okay. This time I used winbox instead of webbox, and I was able to use save-file-name=whatever

Unfortunately, I have a new problem. I cannot figure out what in the world this file is good for. It is not a text file. Looking at the hex of the file, I cannot tell what in the world the file is. Can anyone give me a tip on a file extension that might make the file meaningful? It is not a txt, jpeg, png, or bmp. It is 43.8 kb in size. I would post it here, but until I have a clue as to what it is, I cannot in good faith do that.

Thanks

skot
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:52 pm

About a year ago, no way to read the file: http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=61388. I didn't find any recent news.

DynStatic
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Log Spectrum Analysis??

Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:14 pm

connect to remote radio with telnet and run /int wireless scan 0 duration=5

The link will drop, the telnet session stays open, the link comes back and you get the output. The telnet session timeout is higher then the scan duration.

It's not spectral but it's something.

hwmonkey
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:44 pm

About a year ago, no way to read the file: http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=61388. I didn't find any recent news.
Thanks for the assistance in finding that posting. M forum search did not reveal that.

A comment for Mikrotik Support:
Mikrotik!

It has been one year since support indicated that software had not been developed that could read the output of the spectral scan. Any chance some software will be released? It is really inconvenient that I must plug into the device locally in order to monitor changes to spectrum usage that are affecting link performance. That involves travel time, plus taking down a link for much longer than the duration of a quick spectral scan.

hwmonkey
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:54 pm

connect to remote radio with telnet and run /int wireless scan 0 duration=5

The link will drop, the telnet session stays open, the link comes back and you get the output. The telnet session timeout is higher then the scan duration.

It's not spectral but it's something.
Hmm. A wireless scan will not be enough for me. But, on that premise, I can probably do the same thing with the spectral scan using telnet. I will try that. I am surprised that the timeout would be high enough for the link to re-establish, but I will try it. Perhaps there is a way to increase the timeout on the Mikrotik device (???).

skot
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:41 pm

M forum search did not reveal that.
I have noticed this too... using google search is able to find posts that do not show up in forum search. The forum can't seem to find it's own posts? lol :lol:

merlinthemagic7

Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:19 pm

Here is a site that will convert the spectral output file to a csv file.

http://chr-2.martinpetermadsen.com/Merl ... ectrumScan