Community discussions

MikroTik App

thenoob
just joined
Topic Author

RouterOS: making simple things complicated...

Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:14 am

i have now had this router a RB2011 for about 2-3 weeks it has crashed on me the kernel got corrupted and its been the worst thing i ever bought ...

yes this is a rant and hopefully somone will notice and make changes to , in my opinion as a tech with 10+ years managing networks and some+ years programming, a disgusting and unworthy peice of crap. dont get me wrong the idea is good : a linux based router. hardware isnt crappy either its just this OS its ridiculously complicated for no reasons!

i have been working with nortel , avaya , cisco-nexus, cisco , junipier, linksys, heck ill even trow in linux , radware and infoblox just for the sake of argument
i have never ever sceen a crappy & complicated interface as this . even the most basic of things just SUCK!

now i dont like to rant and not give constructive solutions so here is what i would apreciate , like or at least tollerate as a professional (before ever even mentioning your products to my clients )
1st - loose the proprietary attitude . your code is just a dumb and inneficient interface . (your not a big companny )
2nd - iptables has been well documented , does the job perfectly and clearly int terms of firewall /filters use their configuration scheme PLEASE!
3rd - it is ridiculous to have to add 3 lines in the ip firewall filter for "connection-state" merge the 3 with | ',' or 'or' as a separator
4th - loose the auto-autocompleate if i want an auto-compleate ill press "tab" !
4.1 - this makes it impossible to paste raw text .
5 - comments if i want to add a "remark" or a comment in the text i paste there should be a character ...
6 - switchport access vlan X ... learn it & implement it . (QUICK!)
7 - VLAN interface(layer3 ) make it work...
8 - i dont need a f. LCD ... its a router not a freaken iphone...
9 - loose the hirarchical "file" interface it sucks both for your OS and Nortel !
10 - make things simpler , quicker , easyer.
11 - if i send you an email : i want the awnser now not in 3 days ... specially if my router is bricked!

for all those reasons i will never recomend and buy any of your producs ever again its a real pitty because your hardware isn't that bad ...

a lost customer...
(btw im still fidling my firewall rules after 2-3 days , witch i had working in less than a day on my tomato linksys router )
oh and im thinking of taking this router to the range and shoot it with a 12ga i bet it would work better as a target ! [it would also make a nice vid for youtube]

Edit : your effing "firewall! doesent even work! "drop" on in-interface and out interface in both chains dosent even block traffic !

cheeze
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: RouterOS: making simple things complicated...

Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:43 am

First thing is first...

Please proofread your post before you submit. It doesn't help that we have to decipher what you're trying to say.

Secondly, attacking Mikrotik doesn't work. If you don't like something about it, and you feel that strongly then get another vendor. Clearly no one here will convince you otherwise as you're not approaching the forum with a humble attitude and a desire to learn.

cbrown
Trainer
Trainer

Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:51 am

1st - loose the proprietary attitude . your code is just a dumb and inneficient interface . (your not a big companny )
I've never know anyone that has seen the actual code but I think the interface is great.
2nd - iptables has been well documented , does the job perfectly and clearly int terms of firewall /filters use their configuration scheme PLEASE!
MikroTik's firewall is just as powerful as you want it to be. It has worked fantastic on the thousands of routers I have used it on.
3rd - it is ridiculous to have to add 3 lines in the ip firewall filter for "connection-state" merge the 3 with | ',' or 'or' as a separator
Wow, 3 rules, that just makes it impossible....
4th - loose the auto-autocompleate if i want an auto-compleate ill press "tab" !
It's called HotLock mode and is easy to turn on and off. I find it very useful when spending any amount of time in the CLI. http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Co ... tLock_Mode
4.1 - this makes it impossible to paste raw text .
Not really. See above, Ctrl+V exits HotLock mode.
5 - comments if i want to add a "remark" or a comment in the text i paste there should be a character ...
Huh?
6 - switchport access vlan X ... learn it & implement it . (QUICK!)
7 - VLAN interface(layer3 ) make it work...
I use VLANs everyday and never had ANY problems.
8 - i dont need a f. LCD ... its a router not a freaken iphone...
Your right, its not NEEDED, but it is a nice addition for checking stats quickly while in the server room.
9 - loose the hirarchical "file" interface it sucks both for your OS and Nortel !
What are you talking about? What is the problem with the file structure?
10 - make things simpler , quicker , easyer.
To make things simpler and EASIER would more than likely hurt RouterOS and take control out of the users hands. A great example is Ubiquiti, great hardware, terrible software. They try to make things too easy for the end user and take away from the power user. I would hate to see MikroTik go down this road.
11 - if i send you an email : i want the awnser now not in 3 days ... specially if my router is bricked!
This is MikroTik's policy and it is clearly stated. If you need urgent help you can contact any of MikroTik's consultants. ESPECIALLY, if you brick your router. http://www.mikrotik.com/consultants.html
oh and im thinking of taking this router to the range and shoot it with a 12ga i bet it would work better as a target ! [it would also make a nice vid for youtube]
You'll miss......
your effing "firewall! doesent even work! "drop" on in-interface and out interface in both chains dosent even block traffic !
What? You obviously don't know what your doing. MikroTik also offers trainings. http://www.mikrotik.com/training/

This is a great community and people are very helpful, including the MikroTik employees who moderate this forum. Everyone really goes above and beyond. I don't know where these crybaby fits have got you in the past but it won't work or be missed here. There is no need to attack a product that you clearly don't understand.
C.Brown

cbrown[at]ravenrocknetworks.com
MTCNA - MTCRE - MTCWE - MTCTCE
MTCSE - TRAINER-0179

adairw
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:30 am

I agree 100% with cbrown. RouterOS is far from perfect but you can't beat it for features. I wouldn't have a wireless ISP today if it wasn't for MikroTik. You may have to learn the mtik way, but once you do...ah...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

hipro5
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:36 am

From ALL the above, I'll quote ONLY this.

DON'T you EVER say this to ANY company out there!.......It is a HUGE mistake even mension it.
People are trying hard to be world well known companies and they dedicate hours/days/weeks/months/years on producing something good.
Do you want to give you a simple example?

CISCO - No? - HUGE company. Have they JUST appeared in the market and they were already FAMOUS?
NO - They have worked hard over the years to do so - they have started like mikrotik - let's say - .

CISCO - NOW. If you go and buy an H.264 Encoder from them (my subject), you will pay it ~22.000 USD.
You will find the EXACT SAME encoder from the Chineese company which actualy makes it for them with another faceplate and you will buy it for 1.700 USD.
WHICH of them whould you buy?
You will pay ~20.000 USD MORE for JUST the "NAME"?

Another one (in my territory).

The German Rohde-Schwarz
If you go and buy an FM Linear amplifier of them - the 600W one for example - you will buy it for ~9.500 Euros.
IF NOW you take off ONLY it's FACEPLATE, ALL other stuff are made of the Italian OEM company called META systems.
Did you paid the German company now OR the Italian?
Have you bought the "German quality"?
Why don't you go direct to META and buy it for ~2.800 Euros?
AGAIN you PAY THE "NAME"

After all the above said and because it hurts my fielings this phrase of yours (because I belong too to a small company just started with perfect inovative stuff):

"loose the proprietary attitude . your code is just a dumb and inneficient interface . (your not a big companny )

I have to simply tell you that you're a f(l)ucken arsshole who thinks that he knows everything - like many nerds like you exist out there.
HAVE you EVER tried to write a code/programm/etc by yourself OR you simply "play" with them all?
GET A LIFE - go out and enjoy a beer with your friends - if any - and LIVE YOUR LIFE which actually IS short and leave Mikrotik alone - they propably don't need you now.
After some years when Mikrotik will be HUGE, come back and "cry" again.

Shhhoooooooo....................you pri(n)ck!!!