Community discussions

MikroTik App

qamarsultan
just joined
Topic Author

PPPoE having problem with Layer 2 Switches?

Tue May 07, 2013 9:48 pm

Hello everyone !

We recently upgraded our network from unmanaged switches to Dlink-3526 managed switches. Before that there were about 20 unmanaged TP-Link switches in our network. Till that time MT pppoe was working great but from the day we changed the switches we are having problem that our client get connected properly but they don't have Internet Access.
I am new with managed switches and the purpose of the switches was just to get control over the unused ports. All the switches are in default company settings, mean that all the ports are under one vlan.

Let me tell you that at the NOC side we used Dlink-3100-24TG switch that is having 16 Fiber ports and 8 copper ports. Every far-end switch is directly connected with 3100 switch over optical fiber.

If anybody knows about the Dlink switches settings required, like under port configuration there are various options such as TRAP etc etc may be any of the option from these list needs to be enabled or disabled to pass the proper bandwidth. Even sometimes I am not able to ping the switch, whereas its gateway IP is already added in Mikrotik.

CelticComms
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: PPPoE having problem with Layer 2 Switches?

Tue May 07, 2013 11:09 pm

Have you used Torch or Packet Sniffer on the interfaces to see what traffic is flowing?

solelunauno
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:24 pm

Hallo! I noticed the same trouble trying to get pppoe connection over a vlan established over a managed switch.
In my configuration, I have this:
|PPPoE server over vlan1 (Mikrotik RB493)| ----> |layer 2 WDS wireless bridge| ----> |managed switch (Mikrotik RB750UP ports 2-5 in switch mode)| ----> |PPPoE client over vlan1 (Mikrotik RB750UP)| ;
With this configuration, the RB750UP PPPoE client hangs and can't ping anything; I'm only able to access it by mac address, disable PPPoE client interface, reboot and re-obtain ip functionality on the device.
If I re-enable PPPoE on client, the same thing happens: I lose ip connection with this RB750UP (client PPPoE) and only mac address connection remains possible.
In my case the managed switch is, of course, the RB750UP in switch mode.
If I change this device from switch mode to bridge mode, all works well, vlan1 and PPPoE client returns working well.
So, where is the problem with "switch mode" ? I can't understand this kind of bug.
Thanks

solelunauno
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:26 pm

I forgot: RouterOS version on RB750UP in switch mode is 6.1, on RB750UP PPPoE client is 6.2, on RB493 (PPPoE server) is 6.2 .

CelticComms
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:41 pm

Try uploading the config that doesn't seem to work.

solelunauno
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:57 pm

Dear CelticComms, I don't unterstand which configuration to upload.
Do you mean the managed switch configuration? (That of the RB750UP used as switch);
Or do you mean the PPPoE client configuration?
I think you mean the first, as it's the one of this topic.
So, this is the simple switch configuration that doesn't let PPPoE service over vlan to work:
/interface ethernet
set 4 poe-out=off
set 1 master-port=ether5 poe-out=off
set 2 master-port=ether5 poe-out=off
set 3 master-port=ether5 poe-out=off
And this is the configuration that works, instead, on the same machine (RB750UP):
/interface bridge
add l2mtu=1598 name=bridge1
/interface ethernet
set 1 poe-out=off
set 2 poe-out=off
set 3 poe-out=off
set 4 poe-out=off
/interface bridge port
add bridge=bridge1 interface=ether5
add bridge=bridge1 interface=ether3
add bridge=bridge1 interface=ether4
add bridge=bridge1 interface=ether2
As you can see, if I run it in "switch mode" it acts as a switch but if you try to pass a vlan over it (beetwen two others routeros devices), it doesn't work.
If I run it in "bridge mode", it acts as a switch as before and it works also with any vlan passed over it.

CelticComms
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:13 pm

What are the Switch settings on the 750UP?

solelunauno
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:17 pm

CelticComms, this is the switch print:
/interface ethernet> print
Flags: X - disabled, R - running, S - slave 
 #    NAME                                 MTU MAC-ADDRESS       ARP        MASTER-PORT                              SWITCH                             
 0  S ether1                              1500 D4:CA:6D:B1:A4:45 enabled   
 1  S ether2                              1500 D4:CA:6D:B1:A4:46 enabled    ether3                                   switch1                            
 2 R  ether3                              1500 D4:CA:6D:B1:A4:47 enabled    none                                     switch1                            
 3 RS ether4                              1500 D4:CA:6D:B1:A4:48 enabled    ether3                                   switch1                            
 4 RS ether5                              1500 D4:CA:6D:B1:A4:49 enabled    ether3                                   switch1  
/interface ethernet switch port> print
Flags: I - invalid 
 #   NAME                 SWITCH         VLAN-MODE VLAN-HEADER    DEFAULT-VLAN-ID
 0   ether2               switch1        fallback  leave-as-is                  0
 1   ether3               switch1        fallback  leave-as-is                  0
 2   ether4               switch1        fallback  leave-as-is                  0
 3   ether5               switch1        fallback  leave-as-is                  0
 4   switch1_cpu          switch1        fallback  leave-as-is                  0
It's all default.
I would remember that the issues are only when this switch is working connected to a layer2 WDS CPE: the vlan between one router (RB493G) and another doesn't pass the layer 2 network composed by: RouterA(with vlan1) ->AP WDS -> CPE WDS -> switch (RB750UP in SWITCH mode) ->RouterB(with vlan2) ;
Instead if I do this network:
RouterA(with vlan1) ->AP WDS -> CPE WDS -> switch (RB750UP in BRIDGE mode) ->RouterB(with vlan2) ; all things work well and the vlan1 works between routerA and routerB.
If I use "RB750UP in SWITCH mode" standalone it works well as a switch and also with vlan passing over it.
Difficult question, according to me.
But it's a very good point, because RB750UP is a good device to make a switch in a wireless node (it has poe instruments, voltage control, usb, ecc) and if you use it in bridge mode (instead of switch mode) it wastes lots of traffic capability.

CelticComms
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:45 pm

With these settings the VLAN table may have an influence. Try setting the VLAN mode to disabled on all ports.