MikroTik App

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

What G3/4 usb modem will fit OmniTik?

Mon May 27, 2013 2:54 am

anyone with any experiance'
I have these HUAWEI E3131S-2 UMTS modems. Apart from them not fitting in the OmniTik its also not supported.
So it seems I have to find myself other modems. Any suggestion for models that DO fit and that DO work?

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Re: What G3/4 usb modem will fit OmniTik?

Mon May 27, 2013 12:01 pm

Good Morning! Anybody awake here in Europe! Nobody yet with a suggestion? MikroTik?

jcem
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon May 27, 2013 12:08 pm

I would be more concerned about which modem to use rather the size.

Some modems fit inside the box together with the RB itself if you use an USB extention and make a small hole, but I think it's
better just to use a outside small box with an USB extention cable.

RGDS

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon May 27, 2013 12:13 pm

You could rip off the 3G modem enclosure to make it smaller. The USB extender could also be stripped of the connector isolation to make it small.

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Mon May 27, 2013 1:56 pm

but I think it's
better just to use a outside small box with an USB extention cable.
RGDS
Why? The omnitik is all plastic. If I can find a modem that will fit in the space where the ports are (I only use port 1 anyway) under the flap, that would be ideal. Usually these OmniTiks are high up in the air so pick up of G3 network signal would be not an issue.

I've seen some 90 degree angled modems on the internet. (Google for "smallest G3 usb modem" and go for pictures. Never realized there are so many modems!)
Now I have to find which one is supported by MT and my G3 provider and if they really fit.
(pfff, I thought usb modem fitting to be a easy plug and play event.... :( Now have to spend days in finding the right modem, and only after that can start making it to work..... :roll: )

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Mon May 27, 2013 2:01 pm

You could rip off the 3G modem enclosure to make it smaller. The USB extender could also be stripped of the connector isolation to make it small.
:shock:

This specific modem is not even supported so I have to look for another one anyway.
Is there a procedure to follow to have you guys get some not working modems working under ROS?