Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Help needed on DHCP-client v.6

Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:44 pm

I don't understand how this new dhcp-client is working.
In v5 and before I used to set a cpe number in the dhcp-cl hostname field:
/ip dhcp-client
add add-default-route=yes default-route-distance=1 disabled=no host-name=A-003 interface=wlan1 use-peer-dns=yes use-peer-ntp=yes
So in the lease table of the dhcp-server this unit comes up with 'Active Host Name' "A-003". Just the way I want it.

But now in ros v.6;
 /ip dhcp-client
add dhcp-options="clientid,(unknown),hostname" disabled=no interface=wlan1
Where now to fill in the host-name?
If I try to make a new DCHCP Client Option in the "DHCP Client Options" section, I'll get an error "Couldn't add New DHCP Client Option - Unknown data type! (6)"

If I look in the lease table of the AP I see now the client has the full system ID in its 'Active Host Name' field. I don't want that, I just want the antenna number. Not the full ID..... :(

So obviously it has to be done another way. But I can't find any documentation about it and after trying some options I gave up. Why can't MT not come up with a manual if they bring out a new software version!
I mean, its not rc anymore, It's real.....
Show your appreciation of this post by giving me Karma! Thanks.

Rudy R. Puister

WISP operator based on MT routerboard & ROS.

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Help needed on DHCP-client v.6

Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:41 pm

similar to dhcp-server, starting RouterOS 6.0 it is possible to add client-side options that are sent to DHCP server. Mechanism used to do that is similar to dhcp-server.

Configuration item is available under '/ip dhcp-client option' where you can set up options used for client.

for example:

ros code

/ip dhcp-client option
set clientid code=61 name=clientid value="0x01\$(CLIENT_MAC)"
set hostname code=12 name=hostname value="\$(HOSTNAME)"
in this case values will be generated on the fly when request is created and CLIENT_MAC will be set to MAC address of interface and hostname will be taken from RouterOS identity. Other options can be added in a similar manner.

In your case you have to add option 12 with different value and name, and use your custom option 12.

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:23 pm

well that took some time...

Anyway, I have to use opcion 12, I guessed that. But then, how do I get my info in that field?

I want the client to surface in the dhcp-server 'active hostname' with a certain number, like ; "A3-005"

The hostname is actuall different, "A3-005 Mr. Mistername"
But I only want the CPE number to pop up in the dhcp-server. I'm in Spain here and people have long, looong names here.. I don't want that in my dhcp-server hostname overview....

I tried
set hostname code=12 name=hostname value="A3-005"
but that is rejected.

I tried serveral things in winbox but everytime I get an error message. Since there is no manual on how to do this :( I'm getting nowhere......

So please give me a example what to do to make the client pop up in the dchp-server active hostname with "A3-005"

It should be simple......

Rudy R. Puister

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:34 am

again, same as dhcp-server option- value="'random text'" or just use HEX - value="0x72616e646f6d2074657874"

note that hex strings do not require quotation marks around them text requires them and variables have a special syntax.

this applies to dhcp-client options:
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:IP ... CP_Options

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:29 am

again, same as dhcp-server option- value="'random text'" or just use HEX - value="0x72616e646f6d2074657874"

note that hex strings do not require quotation marks around them text requires them and variables have a special syntax.

this applies to dhcp-client options:
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:IP ... CP_Options
OK, your remark re quotation marks helped. I see now that 'xx' is with quotation marks, and "xx"is merely to quote or give the example.
Hence your "'xx'" was a bit confusiong to me, after I even red over it a hundred time....

Anyway, I've got it now...

Rudy R. Puister

dsobin
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:09 am

Even after reading the previous set of posts 10 times, I still couldn't get it to work. For those who come after me:

You need both apostrophe (looks like this: ' ) AND a quote (looks like this: " ) . If you spread it out (but don't do that) you see this:
 ...    value="  'myhostname'  "
Don't spread it out, though. You need the quote and the apostrophe next to each other to open and close the text.

I hope this helps the next person who looks at these posts.
Remember to give karma to all those who help you - Click the "+" box to the left, under "Karma"