Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

opalit
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Upgrade to 6.1 killed my RB1100x2AH

Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:25 pm

First I had a problem with a couple of ports not allowing more than 2Mbps to pass through, so I decided to replace the switch while I re-configured it on the bench, ( a restore made no difference ).

After reconfiguring from scratch ( a very time consuming task even with it all documented ), all ports worked fine, so backed up, ( did not forget seperate user-manager save ).

I decided to upgrade to the latest version 6.1, downloaded the upgrade package and dropped it in to Files, rebooted unit and it killed the RB1100x2AH stone dead, it appeared to be stone dead, not a squeak on any port.

Took lid off to get at reset button, plugged in to boot port, ran netinstal on laptop and powered on the unit with reset pressed in, after it appeared in netinstal uploaded original 5.11 firmware, then rebooted all worked fine, restored configuration and everything was fine except clock will not auto update from internet and never has.

Out of curiosity tried update again, this time will full packages and low and behold it worked, restored all configuration and I went to bed.

Got up in morning switch on RB1100x2AH nothing, not a squeak of life.

Re-installed original and configurations, all seems OK, so maybe third time lucky so upgraded again, this time it seems to be holding up.

Any idea's why the upgrade is taking it down.

hanty
just joined

Re: Upgrade to 6.1 killed my RB1100x2AH

Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:35 pm

This firmware also killed my Miktorik RB1100x2AH ( The problem solved by downgrade. Also in the low-end models have to be a problem with IPSec (I mean RB750G).
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem.

opalit
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:54 pm

This firmware also killed my Miktorik RB1100x2AH ( The problem solved by downgrade. Also in the low-end models have to be a problem with IPSec (I mean RB750G).
Should be recoverable using netinstall and holding reset while you power on, lid has to be removed, if you have not done it already stick in a 16G MicroSD card while you have the lid off.

Original 5.11 firmware to put back on using netinstall is available here:-

http://download.mikrotikindonesia.com/i ... r=Firmware

macgaiver
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:58 am

My whole core network are with those devices (and new CCRs and x86), only time i got similar problem was when i accidentally had simple queue without target - after upgrade queue configuration changed and that queue started to capture all the traffic - making router inaccessible via IP, i fixed it via MAC-winbox.

I suggest to send supout.rif file to support with current configuration so tha t they can check out - maybe you have similar problem.
With great knowledge comes great responsibility, because of ability to recognize id... incompetent people much faster.

opalit
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:56 pm

My whole core network are with those devices (and new CCRs and x86), only time i got similar problem was when i accidentally had simple queue without target - after upgrade queue configuration changed and that queue started to capture all the traffic - making router inaccessible via IP, i fixed it via MAC-winbox.

I suggest to send supout.rif file to support with current configuration so tha t they can check out - maybe you have similar problem.
You can not generate a support.rif when the box is dead, now I have restored it, first with 5.11 ( original ) and upgraded to 5.25, I tried to upgrade a second time on a clean config to v6.1 and it killed it again.

Can not risk using v6.1, have to leave on v5.25, it is now back in place and working fine, whatever error I had in configuration that slowed the 2 ports down has gone.

For info only, I used a RB2011UAS-RM for the Backup router this worked, but was noticably struggling with only 1 processor on my network.

If you back this up and restore to an RB11002xAH be aware the ports are back to front on the second switch compared with the RB11002xAH i.e. port 6 is 10 and 7 is 9 and visa versa.

ericthecat
just joined

Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:19 pm

I had a similar problem with an AH1100x2 - just over a year old - appeared to be working OK - upgraded to 6.1 and it just wouldn't load - firmware loaded (are you seeing *anything* on the serial port?) but wouldn't boot

Discovered it was dodgy memory - swapped that out and all appears fine.

Oh, and it passed the firmware memory test, BTW - guess its a more subtle fault...

HTH

Chris

opalit
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:46 pm

I had a similar problem with an AH1100x2 - just over a year old - appeared to be working OK - upgraded to 6.1 and it just wouldn't load - firmware loaded (are you seeing *anything* on the serial port?) but wouldn't boot

Oh, and it passed the firmware memory test, BTW - guess its a more subtle fault...

HTH

Chris
Did not check serial port, USB to serial on order as a result of this because I have no machines anymore with serial on, except for a very old laptop running windows for workgroups, sentimental value.

ericthecat
just joined

Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:00 pm

HTH

Chris
Did not check serial port, USB to serial on order as a result of this because I have no machines anymore with serial on, except for a very old laptop running windows for workgroups, sentimental value.
Ahhhh WFWG - vintage!

Could well be the same issue then - my only sign of life was the serial port, everything else was dead...

Chris

macgaiver
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:04 pm

what about "/system routerboard print" on 5.25 version. did you have latest firmware?

if no try /system routerboard upgrade and then "/system reboot"

What about netinstalling v6.x directly?
With great knowledge comes great responsibility, because of ability to recognize id... incompetent people much faster.

opalit
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:28 pm

HTH

Chris
Ahhhh WFWG - vintage!

Could well be the same issue then - my only sign of life was the serial port, everything else was dead...

Chris
I am vintage, probably more than vintage.

opalit
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:32 pm

what about "/system routerboard print" on 5.25 version. did you have latest firmware?

if no try /system routerboard upgrade and then "/system reboot"

What about netinstalling v6.x directly?
We did not have any login to check firmware version, anyway we knew the version, that is why we were upgrading it in the first place.

Did not want to risk installing 6.1 using Netinstall in case it killed it altogether, it is an expensive bit of kit, it is now on 5.25 back in operation and that is what it will stay on, unless Mikrotik can ensure me that if I upgrade it will not kill it.

Krusty
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:34 pm

As I see Im not the only one who had problem with 6.1 and RB1100x2AH. Today I tryed to update all of them to new version. But after update all IPSec tunels stopped working (there is realy many IPSec tunels in our company), and this realy make me sad and it was realy hard 3 hours of debuging and downgrading back to version 5.25!!!

It also destroyed SSL keys for SSTP VPN so I had to import them back again.

Logs were saying "no usable proposal found". So I also tryed to delete and configure IPSec tunel again, it started to work, but after reboot it stops again.

Is there any known issue? It this BUG? How can this happen? I thought you are making some tests before you release stable version :/