Community discussions

MikroTik App

Denis Basta
Topic Author

Bulk configuration tool...

Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:28 pm

IMHO it whould be great, if there would be a tool for making changes on more than one router at a time... don't you think?

Or... maybe open-source MT API? ;)

Thanks!

Denis.

mag

Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:46 pm

ssh/scp, script, scheduler... what else does one need?

Denis Basta
Topic Author

Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:14 am

Well... actually you are not able to make configuration changes on several routers using script + scheduler without connecting to each of them...

I saw one script on this forum, but, once again, not everybody knows where to paste it to...

That would be good feature, let's say for Dude...

Idea is to make newbie-friendy feature - not the advanced thing for coolhackers ;)

eflanery

Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:23 am

SSH driven by shell/python/perl/etc... scripts is the newbie-friendy way, it uses exactly the same commands as the MT command line.

I would love to see an open-source API, but I think that would generally be considered the advanced thing for coolhackers. :twisted:

--Eric

changeip
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:33 am

What are the things you would automate / replicate ? Firewall rules? Queues? I am starting a project to automate things and would like suggestions / brainstorming. My goal is to manage firewall rules / address-lists across boxes. What else would be nice?

I am totally happy to see ssh commands available now ... as well as dsa keys. This makes automating things much easier, thank you mikrotik!

mag

Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:12 am

I would love to see an open-source API, but I think that would generally be considered the advanced thing for coolhackers. :twisted:
there's a well known and standardised way for doing this: SNMP (write), and before adding some proprietary API, it would be much better to complete the existing SNMP-agent.

i have not actually tried this (but going to later): would it not be possible to execute a script which existst on the MT in "/file"?
if yes, then all one needs is a scheduler-script, which looks for such a change-script and executes it.

eflanery

Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:44 pm

Complete SNMP support would be great, but there are some additional complications with sophisticated systems like MT. The thought of trying to control things like the hotspot, queues, policy routing, or the routing filter via SNMP gives me shivers.

As for exectuing a script from a file, you can just /import it, although last I tried there was some problem with a scheduled import, can't remember just what though.

I actually use a little python based system for bulk control, it maintains a dictionary of objects, each of which controls a MT via SSH. I can then just pass a command as a lambda to a subset of those objects, and it executes on each of them. I'm not using it extensively, mostly just a search engine for MACs, IPs, and usernames. I am also using it to keep certain firewall chains synchronised, but once routing-test becomes stable, I will probably replace that with a BGP based firewall control plane (it will be faster, cleaner, and won't require modifying the config for every change).

While my python based system works fine, it's hard on the poor little box running it, due both to all the code that needs to be interpreted, and the hundreds of SSH connections it maintains. A nice socket-based, or "C-shim-code" based API _could_ be alot more efficient. Some of what I do with this code could be easily re-done to use SNMP, but some of it would be quite difficult.

--Eric

tully
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:20 pm

SNMP write is on the list. I expect support in 2.10 in a couple of months. Of course it will be beta.

John

Denis Basta
Topic Author

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:09 am

By the way yeah! I agree with mag.

SNMP write would make third-party scripting much easier...

Anyway, the latest MT MIB I saw covers at most 10% of settings that could be changed...

2 changeip: Well, as for me, at the moment script which I wrote can: add/remove users, check available upgrade for bios, check licenses, change traffic flow settings, change queue settings, get MT version information...

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:47 pm

dibatech
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Bulk Config tool

Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:46 pm

Wrote a bulk configurator with delphi.
Sends any script via console.

rickard
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:35 am

We have make one utility that can handel unlimeted of host in PHP webpage :-) I can paste in CLI commands to all my CPE units .
to change 300 units takes 1 hour i think.
And it works for all kind of equipment :-)

//Rickard

migotom
just joined

Re: Bulk configuration tool...

Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:21 am

Well, little late this reply but I made smth you asked for ;)

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=145850