MikroTik App

Toiletbowl
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

problem on thin client

Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:33 pm

HI guys

I really need your input and help and i'm out of this idea i you guys can give some tip. the setup is i have and OPERA server which the thin client installed in a client computer so the thin client directly access to the opera server. the setup is i have 2 separate vlans network 192.168.100.x and 192.168.101.x now the opera server is a static IP of 192.168.100.7 if the client computer connect to same network of opera it works no problem but id the client computer connect 192.168.101.x it doesn't work but if i ping from 101.x to 100.x the opera server reply and my router has no rules, no filter block. please help me this out im using ros. 4.17 in rb450g i notice is i put server ip to client computer he can reach the hostname or server ip but the data doesn't load.

im very much appreciated if someone can help me out.

thanks

SurferTim
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: problem on thin client

Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:38 pm

If you have no firewall or NAT rules, there should not be a problem with your routers. This does not mean that you have set the firewall for the server correctly. If you can ping the server, the routing must be ok. Check the server firewall. The biggest single problem with a lot of servers is the firewall.

Toiletbowl
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:01 pm

If you have no firewall or NAT rules, there should not be a problem with your routers. This does not mean that you have set the firewall for the server correctly. If you can ping the server, the routing must be ok. Check the server firewall. The biggest single problem with a lot of servers is the firewall.
thanks your quick reply tim i'm gonna try by tomorrow to disable all firewall settings on the windows 2008 server i let you whats gonna happen.

regards

SurferTim
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:03 pm

If it is a Windows server, I can almost guarantee if you have not modified the server firewall, it will block a port 80 request by default.

Toiletbowl
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:15 pm

If it is a Windows server, I can almost guarantee if you have not modified the server firewall, it will block a port 80 request by default.
i try this afternoon to disable all windows firewall i notice if i put http://192.168.100.7 to the client computer browser which is belong to 101.x the client can reach the ip and trying to load and in few second the suddenly blank white, but i connect the client computer to same opera ip range it works without a problem :( the opera thin client has an java applet. i cannot figure it out where is the problem honestly im out of idea :(

Thanks

SurferTim
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:22 pm

A bit of advice: NEVER disable a firewall on a server while it is exposed to the internet. I did that once. It took 8 minutes for a hacker to completely commandeer my computer, and was already sending spam through it.

Go to the Windows firewall in your Control Panel.
Under the "General" tab, insure that the "Don't allow exceptions" box is not checked.
Under the "Exceptions" tab, insure that IIS is selected as an exception. (or port 80 if you do not have IIS running)

edit: Also a thought. You don't have both servers active, do you? That could cause some problems.

Toiletbowl
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:38 pm

A bit of advice: NEVER disable a firewall on a server while it is exposed to the internet. I did that once. It took 8 minutes for a hacker to completely commandeer my computer, and was already sending spam through it.

Go to the Windows firewall in your Control Panel.
Under the "General" tab, insure that the "Don't allow exceptions" box is not checked.
Under the "Exceptions" tab, insure that IIS is selected as an exception. (or port 80 if you do not have IIS running)

edit: Also a thought. You don't have both servers active, do you? That could cause some problems.
actually the OPERA team has newly install the databse server for hotel property management system since we implement this software we are testing to access in deffrent LAn network. my goal of this i have a VPN connection in other remote location which is my VPN it works well i use also a mikrotik router in remote location to dial out the vpn to main office all routed IP are reachable. the biggest problem i encounter is in the first place whic is i testing in internal network and it doest work.

Myron

Toiletbowl
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:53 pm

Hi tim

this afternoon i try to trace using wireshark it's im not sure if is this an exploitation, when i start to access the opera server ip 192.168.100.7 and my client pc is 192.168.101.20 the packets destination goes to another computer which is deferent ip it must be goes to the opera server. i think there is something wrong.

thanks