Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

dison4linux
just joined
Topic Author

Best Practice for LACP with CloudCore

Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:41 pm

I'm going to be using a CCR1036 as a router that will be connected to a 24 port Cisco GbE core switch. From the core switch there will be a 2x1Gb LACP configuration going to each of the 5 distribution switches. My question is what would be considered a best practice for the LACP configuration between the core switch and the router. I believe the switch is capable of bonding at least 4 interfaces together and I believe the router is too, but at what point does the overhead outweigh the benefit? Certainly I don't need 8 interfaces in the LACP group, but I'd like more than 1, so I guess that leaves 2 or 4... Thoughts?

tomaskir
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Best Practice for LACP with CloudCore

Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:44 pm

There really isnt any overhead on LACP, it just specifies how the frames should be divided across the ports, and then a single LACPDU packet per port every second.

Trunk as many as you need according to your bandwidth.
Unimus - configuration management, automation and backup solution
Mass Config Push, network-wide RouterOS upgrades, and more!

dison4linux
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:52 pm

I remember I thought I'd be cute and setup LACP on two ports on an RB751U... the CPU went to 100% at around 30Mbps... once I removed the LACP config I was able to get up to the wire speed 100Mbps.

tomaskir
Trainer
Trainer

Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:55 pm

I remember I thought I'd be cute and setup LACP on two ports on an RB751U... the CPU went to 100% at around 30Mbps... once I removed the LACP config I was able to get up to the wire speed 100Mbps.
There were a few bugs with LACP and CPU usage back in the day, yes.

These should now be solved, if you see high CPU usage with LACP, definatelly report that to support.
Unimus - configuration management, automation and backup solution
Mass Config Push, network-wide RouterOS upgrades, and more!