Community discussions

MikroTik App

HarvSki
Topic Author

PPPoE put inside EoIP

Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:11 am

Hi

I've been using PPPoE for most of this year for authentication of fixed wireless clients. I have one MT PPPoE Access Concentrator (AC) on my network and several other MT routers. So that clients can all authenticate against the AC I've set up EoIP tunnels between the MT router near some users (local router) and the AC, thus the PPPoE tunnel is terminated on the AC at is not stopped at the segment the user is in.

This solution has been great, allowing users to have a public IP address via the PPPoE connection and all but the AC router having private IP addresses. This has maximised the number of spare public IP addresses I have and simplified the creation of PPP secrets (I've not got into the whole RADIUS thing yet)

Recently I upgraded my Internet pipe from 0.5Mbps to 1Mbps and tried to supply all of this speed to a couple of PPPoE Clients, the speed was worse than with 0.5Mbps. I first thought the wireless backhaul might not be upto it but using bandwidth test I can get >3.5Mbps one way and about 1Mbps both, if I use normal routing with masquerade to the Internet I get the full bandwidth.

PPPoE directly connected to the AC is fine too as to is the same routing setup tested on my wired 100Mbps LAN, although I notice a 50% reduction in network throughput speed.

I tried setting up the local router (the one near the users) with a PPPoE AC and then normal routing to the Internet gateway, this too worked well.

My AC router is a Pentium 2 450Mhz 128Mb RAM netgear MA311 wireless NIC the Local routers are Pentium Pro 200 72Mb RAM. The wireless network is 2 hops with a 2-radio repeater in the middle (802.11b) & <0.5% packet loss.

So why is the EoIP killing the PPPoE performance? is the only option to route the public addresses closer to the users then use PPPoE just in that segment? any comment or help is most welcome!

thanks

[ASM]
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:38 pm

Try using WDS

HarvSki
Topic Author

Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:56 pm

This is not possible on my network config as only the AC router has a wireless NIC the rest are using Osbridges and Dlink 900AP+ units.

I'm not sure that WDS would help as this would just create one large segment, somthing I'm trying to avoid hence the use of routers to split the segments up.... although I've suspected that what I've beed doing is bridging them back together with the EoIP. :roll:

mag

Re: PPPoE put inside EoIP

Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:06 pm

we are using a similar configuration with pppoe over eoip-tunnels (until pppoe relay will be available).

bandwith tests show a significant overhead loss but are up to the awaited througput.

dig you set up your MTU/MRU/MSS right?

(we are using eoip-tunnels with 1500 byte MTU, pppoe with 1480 MTU)

what network cards do you use in the AC? (we are using intel)

HarvSki
Topic Author

Wed Sep 01, 2004 4:27 pm

The MTU may just be it! I will have to do some tests but it was set to 1492 (I think that is what MT RouterOS makes it when you create a PPPoE Server)

As for cards, the AC has an intel PRO/100 (built into the Compaq SFF) and Netgear MA311 (Prism 2.5) but also tried going though one of the 4 ports on the DLink 580TX (Sundance) PCI card using a wireless bridge with the same poor results.

Is MT Planning on putting PPPoE relay into RouterOS, I've googled but I'm finding it hard to understand exactly what it is can you explain?

Many Thanks

mag

Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:34 pm

i was told so about the pppoe-relay. i would guess this will work like dhcp-relay, kind of proxy?!

until then PPPoE over EoIP is working for us.

i dont know about the Netgear or DLink hardware, as we are using Atheros based hardware mostly.

we found poor througput with some cheap wireless-ethernet converters too, so we're back to our own hardware (mt router os based)

HarvSki
Topic Author

Thu Sep 02, 2004 4:14 pm

iwe found poor througput with some cheap wireless-ethernet converters too, so we're back to our own hardware (mt router os based)
poor EoIP thoughput or all trafic? as I'm finding the EoIP / PPPoE is not so good as raw routing without the vpn.

I changed the PPPoE server MTU to 1480 on the AC and the PPPoE is better :) thanks but still not great, when testing on the wireless LAN I'm getting 500 - 1500 Kbps on the 100Mbps switched wired LAN I'm getting 28Mbps (using PPPoE etc) This is with the same hardware although the NICs are different on the remote router.

Without PPPoE / EoIP I get about 3 Mbps. anymore thoughts?

tully
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Sep 02, 2004 5:01 pm

The EoIP will add 28 bytes overhead. So, you should decrease the pppoe mtu to something like 1450 and make sure the the tcp-mss mangle is the same.

John

mag

Thu Sep 02, 2004 5:26 pm

poor EoIP/PPPoE traffic compared to the troughput we reach with mikrotik ros and other hardware.

poor EoIP thoughput or all trafic? as I'm finding the EoIP / PPPoE is not so good as raw routing without the vpn.

Without PPPoE / EoIP I get about 3 Mbps. anymore thoughts?
i am going to run some more tests...

HarvSki
Topic Author

Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:30 pm

mad, did you run the tests?

mag

Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:44 pm

tests are still on. we have more powerful hardware now, but some difficulties with the 2.8.16 upgrade.
i will post results, as they become stable.