Community discussions

MikroTik App

hci
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Upgrading from 2.8.28 to 2.9.18 and Interfaces Gone

Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:20 am

I have a PPPoE server I need to update from 2.8.28 to 2.9.18. Everytime I do the update the interfaces disappear.

I log in and this is what I get.
[admin@router.x.net] > int
[admin@router.x.net] interface> print
Flags: X - disabled, D - dynamic, R - running
# NAME TYPE RX-RATE TX-RATE MTU
action timed out - try again, if error continues contact MikroTik support and send a supout file (13)

[admin@router.x.net] interface>
I can still access the box via SSH but all firewall rules and everything associated with interfaces seems gone and times out when I try to print it out. When I downgrade back to 2.8.28 and restore the backup everything is fine again.

Anyone else seen this and got a fix? I do not really want to setup the box from scratch.

Matt

uphi

Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:20 am

I hope someone answers this also....same problem here....

changeip
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Upgrading from 2.8.28 to 2.9.18 and Interfaces Gone

Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:52 am

try again, if error continues contact MikroTik support and send a supout file (13)
Please do this so it gets analzed and fixed. Forums posts do not always make it to the support team.

Sam

odie
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:29 am

witch packets did you use for upgrading ?
the all in one npk or the singel packets ?

KimC
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:13 pm

It is a well known fact, that upgrading from 2.8.x to 2.9.x kills all firewall rules, mangle rules etc.

Allways remember to make an export first !!!

hci
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:43 am

It is a well known fact, that upgrading from 2.8.x to 2.9.x kills all firewall rules, mangle rules etc.
I don't like that but could live with it. I can re-enter all firewall rules. The interfaces won't come back no matter what I do though and there is no way around that.
A 2.8 export for the most part will not restore in a 2.9 router. You would think there would be a conversion routine done between 2.8 and 2.9.

Matthew

GWISA

Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:13 pm

I don't like that but could live with it. I can re-enter all firewall rules. The interfaces won't come back no matter what I do though and there is no way around that.
A 2.8 export for the most part will not restore in a 2.9 router. You would think there would be a conversion routine done between 2.8 and 2.9.

Matthew
True that - it is a well known fact... almost all the important setings disappear, and backup won't help.

You need to generate a script file that will re-enter the config in a terminal application.
/export file=backup
Save the backup.rsc file and edit the commands in Notepad or similar to the correct order, delete all the unnecessary parts, and you have a nice clean & small script to restore the settings...

Is your licence still valid? I know there are limitations to upgrading on invalid one...

8)