MikroTik App

Ehman
Topic Author

Dodgy mesh- need help?

Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:20 pm

Hi. I've created this mesh network using that guide

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Wireless_WDS_Mesh
Model 2 : Wireless WDS Mesh With Bridge Interface

Ok, its working and then its doing it THING! all units flashes going crazy and generate max traffic every time a AP connects in and ask for WDS, this is really annoying...WDS's come and go, the units are laying next to each other set on 20dBm

and every time a WDS connects in, the 1min+ long loop begins allll over again, basically, flooding the network with junk, and making it useless

its all set on rstp, how can I make the flood go away, or make it flood for a couple of seconds, instead of minutes?

How can I fix the problem?

thx

uldis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Dodgy mesh- need help?

Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:38 pm

every time a WDS link is made it is checking the throughput of the link so it could calculate the patch-cost of that link. You can minimize that by creating a connect-list rules to make WDS links only between the good stable links which will give you less WDS reconnects. Or you can disable the WDS automatic adding to the bridge ports and add the WDS interface manually to the bridge port with static patch-cost - in such case the WDS link will not check throughput and you will get more stable environment.

Ehman
Topic Author

Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:55 pm

every time a WDS link is made it is checking the throughput of the link so it could calculate the patch-cost of that link. You can minimize that by creating a connect-list rules to make WDS links only between the good stable links which will give you less WDS reconnects. Or you can disable the WDS automatic adding to the bridge ports and add the WDS interface manually to the bridge port with static patch-cost - in such case the WDS link will not check throughput and you will get more stable environment.
I have 13 Nodes, will this be difficult ?

I care more about a stable environment then throughput in this case

Ehman
Topic Author

Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:43 am

isnt there a way to make it ping all the other nodes and select the best ping instead of flooding the mesh for 2 minutes long constantly,,, its going to flood 80% of the time rendering the network useless ..?

uldis, I can't implement your methods mate, its to much nodes and I run a risk to mess it up, because they all function as "repeaters" :(

...there has to be other options or script that just ping and select the best ping and make it root, I've got 4 units next to each other for testing and now and then, a WDS drops.... impossible but yea.. its happens, and then its flood time all over again. :/

Ehman
Topic Author

Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:38 pm

Is there a way to disable the "checking of the throughput" process?, this will make my life easier

uldis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:21 pm

Is there a way to disable the "checking of the throughput" process?, this will make my life easier
The only what to disable it is by adding manually the wds interfaces in the bridge ports with static path-costs.

Even if you have 13 nodes, you only need to make all this once - add static WDS entries and add them into the bridge ports with static path-costs.