Community discussions

MikroTik App

pospanko
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Which way would you choose for starting WISP today?

Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:58 pm

Hi.
Just curious, what would you choose if you were starting new wisp. Which authentication service, which routing protocols, which equipment etc.

dancho
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Which way would you choose for starting WISP today?

Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:26 pm

pppoe, ospf, eoip tunnels and mikrotik with ubiquiti ;)

adairw
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:43 pm

Mikrotik routers with ospf, mpls with vpls tunnels, DHCP and ubiquiti radios

StubArea51
Trainer
Trainer

Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:57 am

Auth: PPPoE with a RADIUS Manager

Network: OPSF/BGP/MPLS with VRF and TE riding on a tagged Layer 2 infrastructure

Equipment: Depends on bandwidth requirements but at least 2011 for core and 751G for the edge. MaxxWave also makes great RouterOS platforms.

rcwmoab
just joined

Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:01 am

bgp for external routing especially if you are going to multihome, ospf for internal, cloud core for the core router hp switches, the ones that run the 3com os, everywhere else with saf or trango backhauls, ubiquiti air fiber if the shots are short enough for 23-24ghz and it doesnt rain too much where your at. FreeRadius dhcp and dns all on a fully redundant linux server with an identical replacement kept off site but ready to go, also do the same for the cloud core. For the last mile of delivery I'd go with cambium gear, its more expensive but absolutely the best gear I have ever dealt with insanely low failure rate incredibly knowledgeable customer support, and being able to reuse frequency due to cambiums proprietary gps timing is a god send. The 2.4ghz pmp 450 platform should release soon and they are claiming 40 mile ranges with reflector dishes, also cambium 2.4 pmp 100 gear has excellent tree penetration and I expect it should be just as good if not better with the 450 platform due near line of sight capabilities of the 450 platform. We've used gear from redline and ubiquiti in the past and cambium beat it hand over fist in nearly every way. It can also authenticate with freeradius.

Sorry if i come off as a bit of a cambium fanboy but they have earned my loyalty for a reason.