Community discussions

MikroTik App

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

DNS name for MT router

Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:02 pm

Maybe a stupid question from a 'guru' (so I'm not..) but, if I run a traceroute program through my network I would like to see my routers also been named. Most 3rd party traceroute programs have the option to not only show the IP of the router in the path, but also its 'dnsname'. If I want my MT routers to popup with a name similar to the name I have given it in the ID section, how can I achieve that?

Thanks...

cbrown
Trainer
Trainer

Re: DNS name for MT router

Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:58 pm

I would guess that it is just doing a reverse dns lookup. This can be setup in bind fairly easy.

THG

Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:31 am

If you use your MikroTik router as a DNS resolver, just add a static entry for your router in the DNS settings.

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:46 pm

I would guess that it is just doing a reverse dns lookup. This can be setup in bind fairly easy.
"bind"??? What is that? A little bit more help please....

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:48 pm

If you use your MikroTik router as a DNS resolver, just add a static entry for your router in the DNS settings.
In which MT router? The router I want to show up with a name? Or in my main gateway router? All my dns requests go out to open-dns servers. So no dns lookup or caching done on MT routers in my network. Is that a problem?

AlArenal
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:16 pm

You need reverse DNS entries in the DNS system(s) available to the device from which you are tracing. Bind is the DNS server for unix-like systems and has been around forever.

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:11 pm

I don't understand why a simple question brings answer I don't understand.
Although I might be a 'guru' according this forum, that doesn't mean I understand everything that comes with (inter-)networking...

I have a windows PC running and I can start a graphic traceroute program to see where in my network some delays might be around.
If I runs such a traceroute to a serer on the internet several routers come back with a dns name.

Since all my network routers have an ID name beside their IP address, it would be nice if a traceroute program would also show that name instead of only that IP address. Since my brain can't remember all these IP's where names are much easier to remember.

So all I want is that when this graphic program quieries one of my routers it not only presents its IP address but also its name.

Is there not a way that specific router tells its name to that program performing the quiery?
I understand probably somewhere a system must exist that binds that name with the IP of the router. Is that done inside the router? Or does the traceroute program (pingplotterpro) have to send a quiery to a dns server to ask which names goes with what IP?
In this latter scenario, does that mean that I have to tell that dns server all my router's IP's and their names?
If I use OpenDNS for all my dns quieries, how do I do that?

cbrown
Trainer
Trainer

Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:54 pm

The router is not answering the request, a DNS Server is. I have never used opendns for dns only bind so I am no help there.

THG

Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:17 pm

In which MT router? The router I want to show up with a name? Or in my main gateway router? All my dns requests go out to open-dns servers. So no dns lookup or caching done on MT routers in my network. Is that a problem?
Of course, at least one internal DNS server is required to achieve this. All other routers and clients should be set up to resolve DNS names from your main gateway router, then add static DNS entries in your main gateway router DNS server.

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:08 am

hmm, I abandoned the MT dns chache system in my main gateway long time ago. There were too many problems with it involved (the forum was full of it) so I started to use OpenDNS. Even clients that have another dns server set I dst-nat their request to OpenDNS and it always worked. Since the days of the change never had any issue with and dns.
THE MT cache system had issues with the google services. When I enabled the MT dns cache system a year ago just for some try I hade the google issue back within 48 hours....

So, is there a smart way that IP's of within my network can still be resolved by the maingateway's dns cache while all other dns quieries just pass onto the internet and thus OpenDNS?

Any ideas?

AlArenal
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:50 am

Is there not a way that specific router tells its name to that program performing the quiery?
No, because that is not how traceroute works. It prints out the found IP addresses and if it can find a reverse DNS entry for such an IP it will show you the associated FQDN.
So all you need to do is make sure you have a DNS up and running und configured your windows box to use it, you traceroute can as well and put teh required information in your DNS. It does not matter if you do it with bind, Microsoft stuff - any DNS server will do (that's what standards are for).
I understand probably somewhere a system must exist that binds that name with the IP of the router.
Yes, that's what DNS is for. It not only translates domain names to IPs but can also be used the other way around.
Is that done inside the router?
Only if you run some DNS service on your router and your windows box uses it.
Or does the traceroute program (pingplotterpro) have to send a query to a dns server to ask which names goes with what IP?
Bingo!
In this latter scenario, does that mean that I have to tell that dns server all my router's IP's and their names?
Bingo again! We have another lucky winner here..
If I use OpenDNS for all my dns quieries, how do I do that?
Don't know that service. If unsure, ask them. But if your routers use private IPs you'll need an internal DNS server. And if the public IPs of your routers don't belong to you, you'll have to ask your provider to propagate the reverse DNS information in their DNS servers according to your wishes.