MikroTik App

JackANSI
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Please update "supported hardware" in wiki

Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:19 pm

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Supported ... less_cards

Update that to show that anything based on AR9271 will not work on 6.2 or 6.3 mips... I'm on my 4th adapter using this chipset and none have worked with 6.2 or 6.3...

jandafields
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Please update "supported hardware" in wiki

Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:54 pm

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Supported ... less_cards

Update that to show that anything based on AR9271 will not work on 6.2 or 6.3 mips... I'm on my 4th adapter using this chipset and none have worked with 6.2 or 6.3...
Have you sent supout to support@mikrotik.com? They may be able to add support for those devices.

JackANSI
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:34 pm

Not worth the time. This morning I'm preparing to sell my remaining MikroTik units to whatever sucker comes long for them and be done with it.

deejayq
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:58 pm

what equipment are we talking about and what are the prices? :P

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:10 pm

Just to let you know, the list is updated by users, so you could update it too, if you tested the mentioned devices

AlArenal
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:48 pm

Just to let you know, the list is updated by users, so you could update it too, if you tested the mentioned devices
If only I knew how to register for the wiki. I tried to find out but whithout success. Others in this forum tried, too, requested support and got told the feature is disabled and only MT can edit anymore.

jandafields
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:12 pm

This is false. Mikrotik is no longer allowing users to register on the wiki to be able to make changes.

JackANSI
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:51 pm

:lol:

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:35 am

This is false. Mikrotik is no longer allowing users to register on the wiki to be able to make changes.
It is not so. Registrations are approved per individual request.

AlArenal
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:51 am

@normis

That's good news, but this also seems to be a well kept secret. Would you mind sharing how to contact MT and what requirements we have to meet to get access? And shouldn't this information be shared on the wiki, too?

I'd gladly had added some supported SFPs / some configuration examples if only I could.

Ivoshiee

Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:50 pm

Isn't it easier just to look into the ROS source and write out a full list of supported chipsets now and then? You can do it in no time, but the ROS user must pay first to get a device X and then test to find out that it is not supported. Clearly the second method is much worse than the first one.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:34 pm

Unfortunately it's not so easy. You could look at what devices the linux kernel 3.3.5 supports, most of the same will be supported in RouterOS. In some cases, it doesn't support some models, somebody must test it. It's usually easier to just use a RouterBOARD, or to ask somebody what hardware they use. Even if kernel supports this card, sometimes special programming is needed for RouterOS to support it.

As for the Wiki, just email support

Ivoshiee

Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:15 am

Unfortunately it's not so easy. You could look at what devices the linux kernel 3.3.5 supports, most of the same will be supported in RouterOS. In some cases, it doesn't support some models, somebody must test it. It's usually easier to just use a RouterBOARD, or to ask somebody what hardware they use. Even if kernel supports this card, sometimes special programming is needed for RouterOS to support it.

It is better than nothing, maybe we can dig up that information from there. But still, you are in much better position to do that and more.

JackANSI
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:51 am

So unless a user risks trying it out, it is not supported (since the Wiki is so far out of date its laughable).

Saying "look at what devices the linux kernel 3.3.5 supports" then shortly after saying "Even if kernel supports this card, sometimes special programming is needed for RouterOS to support it". Means to me that even you don't even know what other devices you really can support or not, and probably have no clue how to provide support for anything you've never worked with directly (which would be easy for you guys to produce a list so your users didn't waste time and money trying things that the wiki SAYS are supported but you don't).

That is definitely top-notch support for your customers.