Community discussions

MikroTik App

e2346437
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Complex Routing Setup

Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:49 am

Anyone have a suggestion on how to use BGP or OSPF to handle the following situation?

Normally, each Town will be fed via it's own T1. However, if a T1 should go down in either Town, I want the Mikrotik to re-route traffic through the wireless link to the T1 in the other Town.

Is this possible, and how is it done?

Thanks

mag

Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:13 am

is there a BGP feed from the ISP? BGP is (only) for exterior routing between ASes, OSPF will be the right choice for this scenario.

How is the green wireless link created, between the APs or between the MTs?

Three possible solutions come to mind:

Using HSRP/VRRP between the two Ciscos, if a Layer2 connection is available. (Besides using MTs as replacement, but i guess they are owned by the ISP)

Using VRRP between the two MT Gateways, which needs also bridging.

Using OSPF inside the 10/8 network.
Maybe this is helpful: http://relcom.net/CURS/OSPF/1.html

e2346437
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:17 pm

is there a BGP feed from the ISP? BGP is (only) for exterior routing between ASes, OSPF will be the right choice for this scenario.

How is the green wireless link created, between the APs or between the MTs?

The green wireless link is a pair of Tranzeo 5.8Ghz wireless bridges. Only Town 1 currently has a T1 feed, but Town 2 just had it's T1 installed. I've used the Tranzeo bridges to feed Town 2 with Town 1's T1 bandwidth up until now. Since I've invested in both circuits and the bridges, I'm just trying to make the smartest use of them.

Three possible solutions come to mind:

Using HSRP/VRRP between the two Ciscos, if a Layer2 connection is available. (Besides using MTs as replacement, but i guess they are owned by the ISP)

Using VRRP between the two MT Gateways, which needs also bridging.

Using OSPF inside the 10/8 network.
Maybe this is helpful: http://relcom.net/CURS/OSPF/1.html
The

OSPF sound like the smartest idea. How to implement?

Thanks Mag,
Eric

e2346437
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Bridge Placement

Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:22 pm

It also seems to me that the bridges need to be placed in front of the Mikrotik boxes?