MikroTik App

ahmedramze
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

DVB Card For M.K.T Box

Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:50 pm

Hello

i install in My RedHad Box a SkyStar DVB Card and Use it as (( 2 way )) intenet , upload from Dialup in (( M.K.T )) box and download from R.H.Box

what yours think if we install the DVB card in M.K.T box

the Driver in Linux in this web site http://www.linuxtv.org/

and the linux use it as WLAN Card

I hope the 2.10.1Beta will be able to load this Drive

Thanks to Read My Dream

taloot
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:07 am

hahaha guys you are trying to turn the mikrotik to 1 gigs byte opreating system
its routerOS not windows

ahmedramze
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:56 am

:shock: :roll: :idea:

stephenpatrick
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:15 pm

AFAIK the answer to DVB support in RouterOS is already "no".

What I sense is that the more drivers are included in RouterOS, the harder it is to keep it reliable and stable - same in any OS I think.
And of course, the code footprint gets bigger.
I think that 90%+ of the users would vote for "stability" and "performance" over feature-extensions.

Perhaps the right path would be a separate build of software just to support things people have asked for like DVB and ADSL, ethernet ports and some basic routing. "one build fits all" in RouterOS is probably not going to happen, or even a good idea.

If you have DVB up and running on a redhat box, perhaps it's time to do some "pruning" and get it down to <1MB to run from flash.
Elsewhere [for a completely different reason], we did this with Windows and got the OS plus our own applications cut down to <256MB, still with >70MB free for log files etc, and disk-cache turned off to avoid burning out the Flash. It's possible to go a lot smaller too. I think a Linux guru should be able to do similar. You might miss the lovely GUI we have in RouterOS though ...

Any comments from people on that?

GJS

Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:03 pm

Stephen,

What you say sounds reasonable about limiting the drivers but then why do MT not remove some of the old drivers for interfaces that have not been available for years?

Cheers,
Guy

stephenpatrick
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:29 pm

Sure I guess they could remove old drivers and make the code smaller.

But as I understand it, it's adding in new drivers that can "break" the O/S - thinks like causing memory leaks, instabilities elsewhere, etc.
I guess a Linux guru would explain better than me, but the Windows analogy is not bad - think of all those horrible 3rd party drivers that never seem to work together reliably - or adding just one more in messes an otherwise fine installation up.

Regards

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:46 am

plus we have to add a configuration menu, make sure it all works, test it (we have to have this card for that), make sure this does not break a ton of other features, test it again, etc.

these dvb interfaces have huge and complex configuration settings. and we have no way to test it.

jober
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:34 pm

I understand not supporting the DVB but I still don't under stand not supporting a miniPCI ADSL card. Cisco routers and a lot of others support DSL moduels.
But if it would make the support too hard and other things suffer,, then no extra interfaces is just fine with me! :o)