Community discussions

MikroTik App

deggial
just joined
Topic Author

DHCP: I want to ovveride static IP of computers

Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:50 pm

Hello to all!
I'm new of the forum, and quite new of RouterOS.

I have a question about the DHCP server: I want that when some device connects to my network, the DHCP server overrides the static ip of the device.

I want to do this because:
if someone has his laptop set to static ip (for any reason), when he enters in my hotspot area and connects to my SSID, I don't want that he has to change the ip parameters (maybe he even doesn't know how to do).

It is possible, with a routerboard (ore at least some other dhcp server) do this? Override the parameters of device and give it a dhcp address?

Thanks to all
Diego

tws101
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: DHCP: I want to ovveride static IP of computers

Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:40 pm

You can't override the client device IP settings. If you did find a way to do this it would be a hack and depending on where you did this would probably be a crime.

However,

You can change DHCP Server to add the ARP table entry. Then change ARP on the interface in question to reply only. By doing this an address not handed out by the DHCP server would be useless. I think this would accomplish your goal.

jandafields
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:09 pm

You can't override the client device IP settings. If you did find a way to do this it would be a hack and depending on where you did this would probably be a crime.

However,

You can change DHCP Server to add the ARP table entry. Then change ARP on the interface in question to reply only. By doing this an address not handed out by the DHCP server would be useless. I think this would accomplish your goal.

Is it possible to override a static IP address? NO.

Is it a CRIME to do this? NO! LOL you are funny! It's not a CRIME to figure out how to override a static IP address on a computer on your own network. HAHAHAHA!!!!! That's too funny.

deggial
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:33 pm

Thanks, anyway my goal is to give connection to a laptop that already has configured a static ip address... without to ask the owner to change its settings.

PS: I opened two times the same thread. If someone wants to merge them ;)

hydroksyde
just joined

Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:53 am

The hotspot will automatically proxy-arp any hosts with static IPs set anyway, so they'll work.

But no, you can't use DHCP to override an IP set by the client. This is impossible because the client does not make any DHCP requests when a static IP is set

deggial
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:44 pm

The hotspot will automatically proxy-arp any hosts with static IPs set anyway, so they'll work.

But no, you can't use DHCP to override an IP set by the client. This is impossible because the client does not make any DHCP requests when a static IP is set
So, the host will navigate even if it will have its static IP?
I'll try on monday... if it works, it's what I want to do!

I'm searching on google just now, and maybe I can't understand :D
Let's figure this situation:
My mikrotik wireless lan has 192.168.10.0/24 addresses.
In my hotspot enters a laptop with a static address configured: 10.15.2.23 netmask 255.255.255.0 gateway 10.15.2.1 (because in its office, he need this address).
I can't change any setting on this laptop...
With the help of arp table, can I give him a connection? Can it navigate on internet through my hotspot?

PS: sorry for my english

tws101
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:19 pm

Because of the difference in subnet I do not believe proxy-arp will work.

It is a matter of the clients default gateway not being an address on the router.

Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:04 pm

You could add a secondary IP for your LAN port as 10.15.2.1 and "mimic" his office server, you'd still keep your primary IP and have DHCP working on it, but the second IP would allow your locked laptop to still access the internet as if it were at the office.

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:07 am

deggial, have you checked Hotspot? it's feature called 'Universal Client' is activated when you set 'Address Pool' in Hotspot settings

deggial
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:07 pm

You could add a secondary IP for your LAN port as 10.15.2.1 and "mimic" his office server, you'd still keep your primary IP and have DHCP working on it, but the second IP would allow your locked laptop to still access the internet as if it were at the office.
Thanks,
but I cannot know which address has the laptop.
Today it's a laptop with a 10.15.12.1 gateway, tomorrow maybe a laptop with 192.168.179.254 gateway... I can't add addresses to routerboard. Anyway I can add some common addresses (at least 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.1.1)

deggial
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:07 pm

deggial, have you checked Hotspot? it's feature called 'Universal Client' is activated when you set 'Address Pool' in Hotspot settings
I'll check! Thanks