MikroTik App

efaden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

[REQ] SSTP, L2TP, PPPoE, OVPN, PPTP Server Binding Template

Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:38 pm

Hey,

So I have a bunch of road warriors that use VPN connections. Generally I use SSTP/L2TP, but really this request would be useful for all of the connection types. I know that it is possible to create a "server binding" for a specific user and then use that interface in firewall rules, etc. This is fine for a small number of users, but it gets bulky for large numbers of users. What would be really useful is a feature similar to the IPSec Policy Templates, but for Server Bindings. A way to have a class of users or a template that could be created and then referenced in the firewall etc. This way I could allow a set of users easy access to certain resources.

As an example suppose I have a set of users (user1, user2, ... usern). In the current system if I want to reference their "server interface" I have to create server bindings for all of the users individually (l2tp-server-user1, ... l2tp-server-usern). What I am requesting would allow me to create a single l2tp-server-users that would allow me to reference all of them. This way if I also had a set of admin users (auser1, auser2, ..., auserm), I could then create a binding l2tp-server-ausers and use that to allow access to that group to a set of resources. This means I could create complex firewall rules, etc using the server binding interfaces while only actually creating two "template" or "class" bindings instead of one per user (or in this case n+m).

Does this request make sense? Anyone else have thoughts?

-Eric

pcunite
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: [REQ] SSTP, L2TP, PPPoE, OVPN, PPTP Server Binding Templ

Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:51 pm

I think that this level of organization and abstraction is what the v7 routing engine will allow for.

efaden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:00 pm

I think that this level of organization and abstraction is what the v7 routing engine will allow for.
Sweet. It would make managing my different types of VPN users easier.

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:01 pm

You can achieve this using address lists

efaden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:06 pm

You can achieve this using address lists
Only the firewalling part. Not routing rules or anything else I could use the interface for.

ohara

Re: Odp: [REQ] SSTP, L2TP, PPPoE, OVPN, PPTP Server Binding

Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:47 pm

Maybe you could accomplish what you need with scripting or api commands.

efaden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Re: Odp: [REQ] SSTP, L2TP, PPPoE, OVPN, PPTP Server Binding

Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:49 pm

Maybe you could accomplish what you need with scripting or api commands.
I most likely could, but that is why its a feature request. It would just be nice if I could refer to a group of users.

Unic

Re: [REQ] SSTP, L2TP, PPPoE, OVPN, PPTP Server Binding Template

Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:14 pm

Would like to see this feature to.

Instead of Users, maybe the use of profiles or usergroups would be an easy implantation.