Community discussions

MikroTik App

Sedlo
just joined
Topic Author

Cannot find or install printer

Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:55 pm

Hello,

I just found out that my Mikrotik router is probably blocking access to my network printer.
Unfortunately I cannot configure the printer in Windows 7, it seems like it did not get an IP address and it cannot be found.
On the router the connection (cable) seems fine, the diode is blinking on both router and printer.
My printer is OKI B410 and I never had a problem with before.

My laptop is connected to the router using Wifi and the printer is connected to the router via cable.
I have Mikrotik RB751G-2HnD with RouterOS 6.4 (it did not work with v 6.3 also)
Do you have any hint what else could I check?

Thanks for help :)

jandafields
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Cannot find or install printer

Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:53 am

Hello,

I just found out that my Mikrotik router is probably blocking access to my network printer.
Unfortunately I cannot configure the printer in Windows 7, it seems like it did not get an IP address and it cannot be found.
On the router the connection (cable) seems fine, the diode is blinking on both router and printer.
My printer is OKI B410 and I never had a problem with before.

My laptop is connected to the router using Wifi and the printer is connected to the router via cable.
I have Mikrotik RB751G-2HnD with RouterOS 6.4 (it did not work with v 6.3 also)
Do you have any hint what else could I check?

Thanks for help :)
Is your printer and PC on the same network? Or are they being routed through the mikrotik?

Sedlo
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:11 am

No they are on the same network, but I either the printer does not get a correct IP address or it gets an IP address that is unknown (or unavailable) to the Windows PC...

koudy
just joined

Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:44 pm

Hi!
I know, that this is quiet older topic, but I found it, because I have similar problem. We have at work OKI MB441n printer, and with older router (TP-link TL-WR740N) it works fine. I have bought MikroTik RB751G-2HnD (OS v6.13) for better performance in our local network.
I was very dissapointed, when I figured out, that our printer cannot get correct IP adress from DHCP server, after many attempts, I get the printer to the local service center for upgrading it's firmware, because it was not feasible at home/office for our own. Upgrading costs about $30 and after that, i hoped, that it will work fine, BUT it was NOT! The last chance, was advise from service technician, he said: "Try to switch your ethernet port from Gbit to 100Mb, because older OKI printers have problems with Gbit ethernet lan version." SO I tried put this port into 100Mb full/half, and get again nothing :D When I saw, that there is an option to switch the port to 10Mb speed, i tried THAT and, my friends it works!!! After two weeks of many attempts of configurations about DHCP etc., it was this problem!

Conclusion: Older OKI printers (we have 2012) have troubles with full Gbit speed ports, so try to switch them into 100/10 speed and it should works fine! It's a shame, that manufacturer haven't made a firmware update for fixing this problem.

I hope it will help someone dealing with similar troubles.

PS: I wondered about returning MikroTik to seller, thinking it's the bad one, but it wasn't.

Najifares
just joined

mikrotik problem with windows and printer

Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:44 pm

Dear
i have configure mikrotik 
i make 2 pool address: 192.168.71.20-192.168.71.100 for dhcp
                                      192.168.71.101-192.168.71.250 for hotspot
and i make these 2 address pool for 1 lan
so user can take dhcp ip and when they connect user name and pass i will be on hotspot and will take access for internet
and i have server with static ip 192.168.71.1 and workstation with 192.168.71.7 and printer with static ip 192.168.71.56
My problem is that we have to turn off and on the printer to use it and also for pc i have map network drive (from workstation and server) when i turn on my pc the map network drives 
works fines and a while when i'm not using them and when i go back to use them i get message "an error occurred while reconnecting Z: to \\App\\net. Microsoft windows network: the local device name is already in use. This connection has not been restored." also i have ping and reply on it.
Thank you

Feklar
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: mikrotik problem with windows and printer

Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:52 pm

Dear
i have configure mikrotik 
i make 2 pool address: 192.168.71.20-192.168.71.100 for dhcp
                                      192.168.71.101-192.168.71.250 for hotspot
and i make these 2 address pool for 1 lan
so user can take dhcp ip and when they connect user name and pass i will be on hotspot and will take access for internet
and i have server with static ip 192.168.71.1 and workstation with 192.168.71.7 and printer with static ip 192.168.71.56
My problem is that we have to turn off and on the printer to use it and also for pc i have map network drive (from workstation and server) when i turn on my pc the map network drives 
works fines and a while when i'm not using them and when i go back to use them i get message "an error occurred while reconnecting Z: to \\App\\net. Microsoft windows network: the local device name is already in use. This connection has not been restored." also i have ping and reply on it.
Thank you
You really should start a new thread instead of posting to one that does not relate to what you are running into, especially one so old.

With that being said, when you run the Hotspot, one of it's features ARP poisons the network. This is done so that people that come into the network with misconfigured IP settings can still communicate with the router and get online. This however does cause havoc for layer2 communication on that segment. But in a hotspot setting, you typically don't want hosts to communicate to each other.

You have two options, the best of which is to move the printer and file server onto an isolated network segment on a different subnet and interface. You can then secure it by using a set of firewall rules so they are not open to anyone and everyone that is able to connect to the wireless network (note NOT to the internet with signing in, but being able to connect to the wireless access point is enough for local layer2 communication).

The second option is to set the address pool to none in /ip hotspot servers. This will disable the proxy-arp that is being done by the hotspot process.