Community discussions

MikroTik App

mariuszbzo
just joined
Topic Author

Supermicro motherboard

Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:56 pm

Hello everyone,
I have supermicro motherboard X9SRL-F and mikrotik doesn't work (I think it's because of drivers). Is there anyone who have any experience with new motherboards ? I need working motherboard with socket 2011 for Intel XEON and min. 3x PCIe 3.0x8 .
Maybe there is a way to make mikrotik working on this motherboard ?
Thanks in advance for any help

bysard
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Supermicro motherboard

Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:13 pm

What error do you get? No drives found? You can always use ESXi or something and virtualize Mikrotik.

mariuszbzo
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:12 pm

installation stops in this moment :

loading linux......................
loading initrd.rgz
ready.

I also tried to boot mikrotik from USB drive and even in citrix as virtual machine, with the same result.
After waiting for a few minutes it doesn't continue, so what can be the problem? any idea ?

bysard
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:17 pm

I would say drivers. If the hardware is not natively supported in Linux kernel, routerOS wont be able to use that hardware. Like I said. It's a good server, so maybe you should try and virtualize it. If you can get ESXi or some other hypervisor to boot properly, you will have no problem installing Mikrotik as virtual client.

Kreacher

Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:24 pm

Did you turn off in the BIOS the Intel HT (Hyperthreading)?

In January 2014 I get my SuperServer 5017P-TLN4F with 16 GB ECC RAM and 2 x 3,5 HDD it is for pfSense 2.1
but I was also playing with the idea to test the RouterOS on this machine, but now after your report
I am a little bit confused if this is a good idea!

mariuszbzo
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:18 pm

I think it's because of Intel's C602 chipset, in your motherboard there is Intel QM77 Chipset, but I think that nobody really knows if these chipsets are supported by mikrotik, and nobody knows which chipsets are really supported.
Am I right ? Maybe someone from Mikrotik team could say something ???