Community discussions

MikroTik App

chrisdancer
just joined
Topic Author

Ports Flapping Unusable Router :(

Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:10 pm

Hey Guys, Ive been lurking around for these parts for a while but never signed up and posted.. Theres some awesome information on these boards that have helped a newbie like me to set up my Routerboard.

Heres the story, Bought RB2011UAS-2HnD a few weeks back, had a few issues getting it setup.. being that it wouldnt let me connect to it Via IP Address, no biggie i just clicked the small 3 dots connected via Winbox and MAC Address.

Had a few issues getting it to connect to my Virgin Media Modem (Wouldnt Obtain IP) I then Cloned my old Router MAC address to the mac address and it sat there happily for 3 -4 weeks..

At the minute I have 2 Windows 7 Machines connected via the Gigabit ports, both run 10/100/1000 flawless on my other Gigabit switch.

Heres the issue now.. Non of the Gigabit ports will stay sync'd! See image..

If I set the gigabit ports to 100mb they connect.. stay connected for a little longer then drop like the 1000mb does..

Tried this with various network cables from cat5 to cat6.. tried different ports.. all do near enough the same thing..

Figuring someone had hacked my routerboard I updated it to 6.4. reset back to factory defaults and set about configuring it all again.. only to find when I log in I have around 10 seconds and it drops the connection..

anyone shed any light on this? It looks to me like hardware failure on the Routerboard itself.. im now stuck using my Modem straight onto 1 computer..

Thanks in Advance

chrisdancer
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Ports Flapping Unusable Router :(

Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:18 pm

Just an update, after having hte router unplugged for over a week. i connected it backup to make the supout.rif.. reconfigured the settings rebooted it and now its working and 2hours+ and no port flapping.. looks like the issue has resolved itself by leaving it unplugged

chrisdancer
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:55 am

Cancel that post..

came in from work this evening after 10 hours the router is back to flapping all Gigabit ports..

I will make a support mail with the .rif

ddd
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:11 am

If you're hardsetting the ports make sure that the other end is set to the same
Last edited by ddd on Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:12 am, edited 3 times in total.

chrisdancer
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:21 am

If you hardsetting the ports make sure the other end is set to the same
Ive tried Auto-Negotiation, Full Duplex, Setting them to 100mb.. and even 10mb.. they seem to stay stable for longer at 100mb.. but still flap..

Im pretty sure its a Hardware issue now.. as ive set it up from scratch more then 5 times now..

Its running latest OS.. not sure what else to try!

TonyJr
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:33 am

Once I replaced the cable that provides poe to one of my rb with a shielded one, port flapping went away. The poe switch is grounded so that may be why. That was the first indicator of a solution to me.

Maybe it is grounding issues/interference that is causing these port flaps?

Let me know how you get on if you try it, please - I am very interested to know.

Tony

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk