Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

chrisdancer
just joined
Topic Author

Ports Flapping Unusable Router :(

Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:14 pm

Hey Guys, Ive been lurking around for these parts for a while but never signed up and posted.. Theres some awesome information on these boards that have helped a newbie like me to set up my Routerboard.

Heres the story, Bought RB2011UAS-2HnD a few weeks back, had a few issues getting it setup.. being that it wouldnt let me connect to it Via IP Address, no biggie i just clicked the small 3 dots connected via Winbox and MAC Address.

Had a few issues getting it to connect to my Virgin Media Modem (Wouldnt Obtain IP) I then Cloned my old Router MAC address to the mac address and it sat there happily for 3 -4 weeks..

At the minute I have 2 Windows 7 Machines connected via the Gigabit ports, both run 10/100/1000 flawless on my other Gigabit switch.

Heres the issue now.. Non of the Gigabit ports will stay sync'd! See image..

If I set the gigabit ports to 100mb they connect.. stay connected for a little longer then drop like the 1000mb does..

Tried this with various network cables from cat5 to cat6.. tried different ports.. all do near enough the same thing..

Figuring someone had hacked my routerboard I updated it to 6.4. reset back to factory defaults and set about configuring it all again.. only to find when I log in I have around 10 seconds and it drops the connection..

anyone shed any light on this? It looks to me like hardware failure on the Routerboard itself.. im now stuck using my Modem straight onto 1 computer..

Thanks in Advance

chrisdancer
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Ports Flapping Unusable Router :(

Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:53 am

no one have any ideas? is there a special set of rules I have to try before RMA'ing it?

becs
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:13 pm

Try to connect to the router through ether6-ether10 ports and create supout.rif file. Then write to MikroTik support and attach the supout.rif file.
This article explains how to make a supout.rif file:
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Su ... utput_File

nanet
just joined

Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:38 pm

I had the same issue today (http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=76347). After I disabled the snmp service, port flapping was gone.
I use cacti for monitor only interface and cpu count.

best regards,
Patrick

n21roadie
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:58 pm

I had the same issue today (http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=76347). After I disabled the snmp service, port flapping was gone.

best regards,
Patrick
I had unchecked snmp service and still had port flaps, the port flapping have stopped now but this after a lot adjustments not only at the effected router but everywhere on the network, but we cannot say what exactly was the source of this issue but maybe a combination of several (?) with a live production unit - I don't want to have unhappy customers while we pinpointed the source?
N21roadie,
Network 100% MT for Now?

TonyJr
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:44 am

I usually stop port flapping by replacing unshielded cable on the malfunctioning port with shielded patch cable assy.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

Kreacher

Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:34 am

I usually stop port flapping by replacing unshielded cable on the malfunctioning port with shielded patch cable assy.
Same as yours here, we where changing all of our old cables from UTP to S/SFP CAT.6a cables in one day,
by replacing them all! Because the difference from CAT.6 to CAT.6a was only some Euro cents and now only
one port is flapping! From 7 ports before!!!!
Kindly regards
Kreacher ♬

--------------------------------------
Karma points must not be paid by you

visalink
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:03 am

best regards,
Patrick
I had unchecked snmp service and still had port flaps, the port flapping have stopped now but this after a lot adjustments not only at the effected router but everywhere on the network, but we cannot say what exactly was the source of this issue but maybe a combination of several (?) with a live production unit - I don't want to have unhappy customers while we pinpointed the source?
MK it’s now a very stable network.
But as I think back to get to that level of stability you need to have a lot of expertise and experience in several areas like RF, networking, programming, etc., if you don't have that in-house, get people who have, to configure and work through any issues.

best regards,

visalink
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:06 am

best regards,
Patrick
But as I think back to get to that level of stability you need to have a lot of expertise and experience in several areas like RF, networking, programming, etc., if you don't have that in-house, get people who have, to configure and work through any issues.

good lock.

chrisdancer
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:42 pm

Ive Already tried Cat5, Cat6, and Cat6a.. ive tried it in different Cabs.. away from every other device incase it was a Electrostatic or RF interference.. and still the same issue.. if i leave it turned off for a few hours and plug it back in.. all is fine for a few hours.. then I think it reaches a certain Temp or certain amount of Transfer it flaps :( which is no good for us.. running a Home Office with various VPN and Day Critical uplinks needed.. currently running via an Old Dlink router!

I pray Mikrotik can help out with the Supout.rif i have mailed them.

Cheers

TonyJr
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:44 pm

Hmmm.

How about earthing the device?

I can't think of anything else other than a problem with the hardware itself.

Tony

n21roadie
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:09 pm

best regards,
Patrick

best regards,
It is very strange to read replies I had posted for other topics being used and quoted almost word for word?
http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php ... 02#p389073
N21roadie,
Network 100% MT for Now?