Winbox support for routing-test package

Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:20 pm

Since 2.9.20 Winbox has support for routing-test package. Happy routing. :wink:

Eugene

Mapik
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:04 pm

It's great to hear it :) When it will come ???

uldis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:19 pm

most likely next week.

eflanery

Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:28 pm

Cool, any idea when routing-test will go "mainstream"/"production-stable"?

--Eric

BelWave
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:29 am

This is great news! Will MT provide a list of exactly what has been improved from the old routing package to the new?

Thanks,

Brad

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:00 am

some things are completely rewritten, like BGP for example.

BelWave
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:33 pm

Ok, just downloaded and installed on a non-production router. Disabled the routing package and enabled the routing test package. Rebooted and now I see the new BGP module. However, this router is not configured for BGP.

Before we begin upgrading our routers that are running BGP is there anything we should know? Will v2.9.7 BGP settings transfer? Will v2.8.28 BGP settings transfer?

Many thanks,

Brad

NetTraptor
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:30 pm

How do we declare the subnet(s) we are going to announce through BGP… in routing-test

i.e. / routing bgp network add network=10.1.1.0/24 In the mainstream routing package syntax

I found that with a static route 10.1.1.0/24 to one of the Intrefaces does the same thing but only if I redistribute static routes… which is no good at all because I don’t want other routers to know about them …
Well one would say that I could set up some filters about what should I announce and what not… but it’s the long way around something so simple! ?????

Am I doing something wrong or is there something I do not see…???? :roll:

changeip
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:30 pm

Small bug in winbox - bgp implementation ... the status of a peer does not reflect the current status in the terminal mode... If you view winbox panel it shows 'disabled, established' ... and the uptime keeps counting even though its not active.

Sam

changeip
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:33 pm

How do we declare the subnet(s) we are going to announce through BGP… in routing-test
BGP will only annouce routes in the routing table...

Sam

NetTraptor
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:26 am

BGP will only annouce routes in the routing table...

Sam
I think that the network command is in the specs of BGP. It is not wise to set static routes and announce them instead of setting the nework announced.
For example. In or community network we use the 10.0.0.0/8 and about 300 subnets like this are announced through BGP. Now lets say that I want to route my inet connection so I add a route to 0.0.0.0/0 from 192.168.0.1 which is in my local net (why? because I want to, I can and I should be able to). Or someone has other static routes which refer to routing that needs to be done locally.
Now in this version I have to set a static route lets say 10.21.127.0/24 to an interface in my router preferably one that has an IP in the range of 10.0.0.0/8 (I don’t know if that makes sense but just in case) so that by using static routes redistribute in the bgp I can announce my subnet as well! AND not only… I will pass to all the other nodes, which I do not want to, all my static routes about my net connection and other local static routes that I don’t want others to know! That is unless I set up filters as to what I announce and what I can receive from others! Now that is not very clever!

Hope someone comes up with a neater solution!

dusan
just joined

Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:02 am

Hello,

I had to install 2.9.20 on our production router (tops about 230 mpbs - together both ways), because old 2.8.26 with old kernel generated packet loss with such heavy traffic.

We have really simple configuration, transit connection to the world and local connection in peering center (http://www.nix.cz), about 100 peers, works great for first touch, packet loss is away with the 2.9.x. No load balancing or such things, only routing to the right gateways according BGP.

Hardware configuration: 2.2 GHz celeron, 3 x GE intel NIC, msi motherboard with intel chipset on the border router.

Amazing :-), thanks to mikrotik, good work.

dusan
just joined

Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:35 pm

Only one suggestion, some possibility to "name" the peers in bgp would be very very nice. Or add comment. I miss this option...

Thanks.

heimdal

i agree with NetRaptor about BGP

Tue May 02, 2006 1:47 pm

Why don`t use some useful features from "old" routing package?

In my situation i have multihomed BGP with two peers. In other side have cisco routers and their administrators told me "you don`t have filters, you send to us all from routing table" and "your networks are missing"! where and how to filter, where is network=xx.xx.xx.xx ?
Please be kind to wrote whats goin` on with filters and network?
Sometime things need to be KISS (keep it simple stupid) ?
I saw mikrotik developers have own interpretation for implementing BGP management. Why ?
I`m not mikrotik developer and i`m in trouble with your product.
Nevermind... just tell here when mikrotik will be ok?

sorry for bad engRish (engRish as a third language)

changeip
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 02, 2006 6:45 pm

"you don`t have filters, you send to us all from routing table"

You should use /routing filter to specify what to send them ... Routing-test is a huge improvement over regular routing package.

Here is an example:

add chain=test-in invert-match=no action=discard comment="" disabled=no

The above rule discards all incoming routes, probably not wanted, just an example.

add chain=test-out prefix=21.0.0.0/8 prefix-length=24 invert-match=no \
action=accept comment="" disabled=no
add chain=test-out prefix=20.0.0.0/8 prefix-length=24 invert-match=no \
action=accept comment="" disabled=no
add chain=test-out invert-match=no action=discard comment="" disabled=no

The above rules allow outbound annoucements of 20/8 and 21/8 in /24 increments and filters the rest.

Sam

heimdal

thanks for your post

Tue May 02, 2006 7:15 pm

i`ll setup two brand new 2.9.23 to test this rules example

but still suggest mikrotik developers do not give us links to cisco

we need mikrotik syntax to setting up router properly, is not only experience with bgp or cisco

Eugene
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Fri May 12, 2006 9:06 pm

Ok, just downloaded and installed on a non-production router. Disabled the routing package and enabled the routing test package. Rebooted and now I see the new BGP module. However, this router is not configured for BGP.

Before we begin upgrading our routers that are running BGP is there anything we should know? Will v2.9.7 BGP settings transfer? Will v2.8.28 BGP settings transfer?

Many thanks,

Brad

BGP configuration from regular routing package is ignored in routing-test.

Eugene

heimdal

BGP routing-test problem

Fri May 19, 2006 10:57 am

So, i setting up one BGP link with routing test and saw what happened:

work only with "redistribute connected" - on mikrotik documentation for BGP command reference is connected and static... WHY ?

Again i recommend those people who wrote documentation to provide us
useful primer to configure , this links to cisco make me fit of nerve!!!
Commands to manage BGP IS NOT like Cisco!!!

Filtering out update message on peer connection with other side - NOT WORK. If i setup filter - i CANT get prefixes , just get state established.

Filter OUT is in this order :
my networks accept
other - reject

i don`t see nothing that works for me ... just click to check some options ...and see work or not ...

Like one of users in forum said :
we are your experimental lab or something ?
in every new version something work , something not ...
In my opinion work is done but not very well - missing documentation and primer for configuration is a problem for me.
just want to figure out multi homed BGP router ...

advantz
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: BGP routing-test problem

Fri May 19, 2006 3:31 pm

work only with "redistribute connected" - on mikrotik documentation for BGP command reference is connected and static... WHY ?
need some answer here please, same problem!
thanks

karyal
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: BGP routing-test problem

Sun May 21, 2006 5:01 pm

need some answer here please, same problem!
thanks
I've just finished to set up my MT network using bgp only.. i'd like to help you, but i don't understand the question... what's the problem?
Bye,
Ricky

nikhil
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:27 pm

i somebody using the routing-test bgp in production ???
I have 2.9.24 and my router seems to stop routing for some unknown reason thinkning of switching over to routing-test.

Please advise

changeip
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:26 pm

I'm testing 2.9.24 routing-test in a dev environment and having major issues. It seems like MT is keeping routes that it learned even after peer disconnects...

I have 2 external routers running quagga, 2 different AS numbers both with 180,000 routes each. I then have 2 Mikrotik BGP routers, one peering with each of the above. Then a cross connect between MT routers on another interface with a peering setup. I don't know if I am doing anything wrong but I have major problems with CPU usage, leftover routes not being removed, phantom routes in memory even though the peering session stopped 30 mins prior, etc. It's not ready in my opinion.

PS - quagga can dish up 180,000+ routes on a p3 1000 with barely any cpu usage ... mikrotik on a dual core p4 3.2ghz seems to hit 100% cpu for 10 minutes and then gets all squirly afterwards : )

I'm putting together some supouts to have support look at them, although I've sent 2-3 bgp related issues with 2.9.23+ and never hear back. . . If anyone is interested in peering with these 2 quagga boxes for testing feel free to drop me a line.

Sam

nikhil
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:28 pm

I would be interested in trying the peers

changeip
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:34 pm

Send me an email and I will send you some details on how to peer with them - sam at changeip.com

nikhil
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:25 am

Since im using policy routes most of the time to shoow traffic out of lower cost carriers switching to routing test and getting a full feed but rejecting all the route injections into the routing tables wouldnt that make more sense ? And routing would continue to run just the full feed would be pretty much useless since I use policy routes.

changeip
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:15 am

Yes, we had to do this go get MT to play nice with bgp. 180,000 routes from 2 providers with only 2 possible directions seems kinda dumb. We reject all routes from 1 provider and get only customer gateways from the other - and policy routing / ecmp detemines which way to send the rest. A total of about 20,000 routes on our current 2.9.6 router seems fine ... but seeing that a quagga or other bgp device can handle it no problem is a little strange.