Community discussions

tronity2k
just joined
Topic Author

What happens to mikrotik with routeros?

Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:12 am

Going to have a reference operating system, to be totally buggy software, where instead of engaging match the strength and stability of previous versions, are dedicated to cosmetics cosmetic or new features (who cares lcd, when the router is not working properly?).

InoX
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: What happens to mikrotik with routeros?

Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:41 am

This forum is for people with problems. For every one complaining that something is not working, I'm sure there are 1000 people that are happy and are not posting on the forum. There are to many things that can go wrong in such an complicated operating system.

Ape
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:37 pm

True that InoX.

It's the same thing with almost every software. In this business, if you have critical infrastructure, you stick with the older stable things if they don't lack security and/or needed features.

To be honest, I think you wont get any other so rich featured device for the same amount of money.

IMHO, MikroTik learned it lessons with CCR & ROS 6.x and they will improve the next release cycle, I hope ;-)

Ape

InoX
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:07 am

There is one thing I can't understand.
Lets talk about an 20$ stupid router. If you want to change LAN ip address, you just have to modify LAN address from 192.168.1.1 ti 192.168.2.1. But if you want to do this in mikrotik, you have to :
1.IP-address-interface-192.168.2.1
2.IP-dhcp server-dhcp config
3.IP-pool
For such an advanced operating system, this is more than stupid, is ridiculous.

Ape
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:23 am

You're missing the intended modular concept of the MikroTik devices.

They're not an out of the box solution for your problem, I like to see them as advanced router construction kits.

It's up to your configuration skills to make them doing what you think they're supposed to do.

So yes, this flexibility is reflected in greater complexity, but this is an advantage, because the device does not patronize you, right?

Ape

AlArenal
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:31 am

This is what happens under the hood and its what the interface of the $20 router hides from the user, who doesn't care about the inner workings and doesn't need to know.

But you cannot have all the features of the world at your fingertips without the slightest clou about how they work. Making seemingly basic stuff simpler on the one hand and targeting pros who need to have access to every bit on the other is a walk on a razor blade's edge.

If you want the cool usability of an even more inexpensive $20 device, don't hesitate and BUY IT!

If you want a rich feature set you have to get your nose dirty reading some documentation about the inner working of things. As Ape just said, flexibility always comes at the cost of complexity. You cannot prepare for everything without knowing anything.

onnoossendrijver

Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:33 am

Wise words! :)
Linux/network engineer: ITIL, LPI1, CCNA R+S, CCNP R+S, JNCIA, JNCIS-SEC

ohara

Re: Odp: What happens to mikrotik with routeros?

Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:42 am

Lets talk about an 20$ stupid router. If you want to change LAN ip address, you just have to modify LAN address from 192.168.1.1 ti 192.168.2.1. But if you want to do this in mikrotik, you have to :
3.IP-pool
I think most $20 tplink, dlink, pentagram routers require a reboot when you change IP or firewall rules? That is another reason why MT is my preferred router.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:09 am

Guys, you are not correct on this.

If you open RouterOS webfig, and change the IP address in the Quickset page (the default page that opens), it automatically changes the DHCP and Pool settings. And no reboots.
No answer to your question? How to write posts

InoX
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:58 am

All you said is true but sometimes, some things, you just forget them and you need to learn things all over again.
I always forget IP-Pool, and I think this should be in IP-DHCP Server-DHCP. :D
I still can't upgrade my main gateway to v.6 because server lose all interfaces.
Gigabit ports, from RB2011, problem that last for about half of year.

AlArenal
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:10 am

Guys, you are not correct on this.

If you open RouterOS webfig, and change the IP address in the Quickset page (the default page that opens), it automatically changes the DHCP and Pool settings. And no reboots.
Yeah, but there're models without quickset! ;-)

nkourtzis
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:57 pm

I would not compare routeros with any home router but rather to more advanced devices, such as, say, Cisco. Their primary purpose are to be reliable, capable and versatile, not easy for every user. Do you know how many commands are needed in IOS to do what you said above? The addition of Quickset in Routeros, though, was a step towards automating many common configuration scenarios. I never use it though - I prefer the manual way.

Now, on the other hand, routeros v6 seems like it has a long way to go in terms of reliability. Also, Mikrotik should address the numerous reports of NV2 performance problems, especially in PtMP situations. I am, too, a sufferer from all these: high latency, wide jitter, reduced TCP throughput.
Passionate about networks
Enthusiastic about Mikrotik
MTCNA | MTCRE | MTCINE

No trees were killed to send this message,
but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

frankc

Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:44 pm

3.IP-pool
well if it's that stupid it's an easy fix for you.

You know, i use this at my advantage, i can have the router on 192.168.89.0/16 and run a DHCP for 192.168.88.0/24

so as you see you can actually do more with a 50$ router then a linkshit 20$ router ( which are now around 120$ around here)

of course if you need KISS then you could get a linksys that would actually setup the dst-nat and masquerades for you with a simple
Application Forwarding tab .. lol but then you lack any of the multitude of functions this has.

Im running 10 VPN's ipseced on different subnets to 6 different offices with multitude of servers and such connecting
i call it my spider web
try that with a 20$ router ;)

try mesh/hotspot/custom routing, scripts etc... that what you get here ;) i learned the hard way that dhcp doesnt update if you change ip directly, but then again it's part of the troubleshooting process,

it takes 1 sec to see device gets a wrong ip and from there you know it's dhcp the culprit.

so basically, i prefer having to think about something then someone deep throat feeding me the answer.

if this pisses you off, then i can imagine that you are using core basic functionalities of the routers, when you get into more advanced functionalities, you will need the train of thoughts that these small hickups procured you.

my 0.02 canadian cents, (0.01 us i guess)

BTW another thing to checkout is that some encryptions need current time to be accurate, so you should install the ntp-client package ( why not default ? no idea ) to keep time on reboots/power failures.