Community discussions

MikroTik App

dimonchich
just joined
Topic Author

What is Tools->Profile->SPI usage??

Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:33 am

Does anyone know what Tools->Profile->SPI mean?
It eats near 25-30% processors time of my RB2011UAS, v6.4

tomaskir
Trainer
Trainer

Re: What is Tools->Profile->SPI usage??

Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:45 pm

SPI is the LED touch-screen on the 2011 series.

florinbro
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:54 am

please detail what is SPI on RB750 .. and RB450 and ... RB493 ... since I face same situation on my machines .... strangely ... when they have free memory under 4-7 MiB ... rest is occupied by Web Proxy Cache.

timberwolf
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:24 pm

SPI can stand for Serial Peripheral Interface, that would match to LCD/Touchscreen on the RB2011 or SDcard for units with an appropriate slot, maybe even for the system flash.
It may also be Statefull Packet Inspection...

florinbro
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:13 pm

You read my mind. when SPI eating CPU .... I was looking on our Border Firewall for Attack Kind of Sessions. I found NONE. So in my experience SPI joust activate himself .... without any exterior reason. I believe is something wrong in software, or something missing in software. (software means 5.6 or 6.5)

timberwolf
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:31 am

You read my mind. when SPI eating CPU .... I was looking on our Border Firewall for Attack Kind of Sessions. I found NONE. So in my experience SPI joust activate himself .... without any exterior reason. I believe is something wrong in software, or something missing in software. (software means 5.6 or 6.5)
SPI basically means, that your firewall ACLs are statefull as compared to stateless. It's the feature which allows you to have rules whith conditions like "established" or "related" and is needed for NAT. I think you confuse it with IPS intrusion prevention system, am I right?

florinbro
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:38 pm

Thank you for details. On our machines Firewall rules are non existent. we use firewall rule ONLY in case we want to block or filter someone. The only rules is NAT for Redirecting HTTP to local port 8080 acting as Web proxy (transparent proxy).
The machine generating most of the problems with Memory and Web proxy ... have only Firewalls rules with DROP as action.

timberwolf
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:31 pm

Well NAT requires SPI aka connection tracking. But until MT comments on what SPI really means, we both stumble in the dark. :-)
Your web proxy doesn't use a microSD card for storage by any chance?

florinbro
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:20 am

RB750, 450 and 493 do not have possibility for any external memory, not even USB.

Yesterday I was having problems again with the 493 .. I decide to disable the local cache from Web Proxy because again SPI and Unclassified takes 20-30 % of CPU and machine was slow responsive.

Strange thing is that WAN interface showed only a traffic of 15-20 mbps. so it seems the CPU of this machines was designed with NO CACHE in mind.

timberwolf
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:56 am

I never tried web caching on those systems as I was sure about the fact, that they are to weak for this anyway. ;-)
I would recommend using a cheap x86 box with lots of ram for caching. RB750, 450 and 493 are in my oppinion not suitable for this task.

florinbro
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:38 pm

I perfectly agree with you. this equipment's are installed in QUITE EXTREME REMOTE areas far from civilized world replacing x86 computers before. (because of the space and low power consumption requirements).

We will focus setting cache on none and using Proxy Cluster cache.

hossain2004a
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:05 pm

I'm gonna wake this topic because i'm facing SPI.
Does anyone one what is this "SPI"??

juliokato
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri May 12, 2017 6:28 pm

I'm gonna wake this topic because i'm facing SPI.
Does anyone one what is this "SPI"??
+1
This link is outdated: https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Tools/Profiler

We will contribute to keep you updated!

bluecrow76

Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:22 pm

SPI stands for Serial Peripheral Interface. It is one of the buses on the router that is used to talk to certain components, like the LCD panel as previously stated. Anyone that has ever message with an Arduino should be familiar with this type of bus.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_Pe ... erface_Bus

I was seeing 30% CPU utilization on a router today and all of the usage was on SPI. I went into the LCD configuration and changed it to "Read Only Mode" and the usage dropped down to 2-4% for SPI in the profile tool and now the router is sitting at ~8% CPU utilization with SPI only using 2-4% periodically, which makes sense because if that is the router updating the LCD screen and I am running the "stats slideshow" for the WAN interface on the LCD, so I would expect some CPU utilization there as it updates the graphs.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:33 pm

What about the stateful packet inspection?

bluecrow76

Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:53 am

What about the stateful packet inspection?
I would think that would fall under the category of firewall as conntrack is a component of iptables.

Unfortunately I cant find any instance of where anyone from Mikrotik has officially documented what spi in the profile tool actually means. My comments are based purely on observed behavior of the platform.

andriys
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:22 pm

SPI stands for Serial Peripheral Interface. It is one of the buses on the router that is used to talk to certain components, like the LCD panel as previously stated.
My understanding is that all SOHO device in the current line of products (i.e. those with only 16MB of flash) also have Flash drive sitting on the SPI bus.

samuelaltenhofen
just joined

Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:45 pm

SPI stands for Serial Peripheral Interface. It is one of the buses on the router that is used to talk to certain components, like the LCD panel as previously stated. Anyone that has ever message with an Arduino should be familiar with this type of bus.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_Pe ... erface_Bus

I was seeing 30% CPU utilization on a router today and all of the usage was on SPI. I went into the LCD configuration and changed it to "Read Only Mode" and the usage dropped down to 2-4% for SPI in the profile tool and now the router is sitting at ~8% CPU utilization with SPI only using 2-4% periodically, which makes sense because if that is the router updating the LCD screen and I am running the "stats slideshow" for the WAN interface on the LCD, so I would expect some CPU utilization there as it updates the graphs.
Like you, i disabled the option /lcd and voa lá my CPU is bellow then 10%. Thanks for explanation.

sihubert
just joined

Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:01 am

I have the same issue on RB1100AHx4 Dude Edition.
Tried to entirely disable firewall, SPI CPU usage remains unchanged and very high.
I wonder what peripheral is using that much resources, since there is no LCD on these devices. Any official comment from MT would indeed be very welcome...
Dude is installed on this machine, might it be access to the database on disk/flash memory?

corymar
just joined

Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:39 pm

I've experienced such an issue on my hap ac (962UiGS-5HacT2HnT) when I've set action "disk" for error,critical,warning and info logging topics (/system logging)
Since there are only 16MB total and ~7% free in most usage cases, internal flash was getting full when log files sizes grew.
There was 100% cpu usage (23% networking, 75% spi and minor %% of others). System didn't have free space to write logs.
I've returned echo action to info and left disk action to others. Problem got solved.

ivimail

Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:50 am

I know this is an old post but I reached it because I'm observing big cpu usage on a CCR1009.

The high usage cpu with the proccess SPI is produced when running The Dude on the router. I guess when I/O the microSD card. If I disable The Dude the spi loads one core during a few seconds and then it dissapears. If I turn on again the dude then I see every few seconds the SPI loading one core and dissapearing.
Captura.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AnAnAs

Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:33 pm

well seen!