Community discussions

MikroTik App

danielm
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Simple queue + PCQ now works for me

Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:56 pm

I finally got PCQ working the way I want (and expected). My setup was done with great care but never really worked until yesterday. Here's why:

Setup:
We have an office with 50+ devices on a 10Mb internet connection. My very basic requirement was that anyone of these devices can pretty much do what they want and all the available bandwidth would always be distributed evenly between all the clients (per ip shaping). I.e. if one guy is using a download manager with 20 connections and another one uses a single connection, both should get 50% of the bandwidth (assuming both go flat out). For three it should be 33% each and so on.

PCQ seemed like it would do the trick. However, the fatal flaw was to set the Max Limit for the simple queue to 10Mb, the same as the line speed. Of course what happened is that the queue never reached its 10Mb limit because the line is maybe only 9.9 or 9.8Mb, so the PCQ shaping never kicked in. Yesterday I set the Max Limit on the queue to 9Mbit and voila! perfect shaping.

Now this may seem trivial but honestly in all my research I never spotted a comment around this. Maybe I read too fast. Hope it helps someone.

Check it out, it's a thing of beauty: :)

Last edited by danielm on Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeanluck
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Simple queue + PCQ now works for me

Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:14 am

thank you very much for your article. It has helped me a lot!

spire2z
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:43 am

Do you know what happened when you left it without any limit?

Did pcq work dynamically as with the limit set? I'm never quite sure about that. The documentation seems to suggest it will do that without any limit set.

danielm
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:51 am

Do you know what happened when you left it without any limit?
In my experiments it did not work that well. I imagine that because there is no set ceiling it is very difficult to determine when to start shaping which connection.

dmorton
just joined

Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:13 pm

This is just what I have been looking for! Thanks for posting because I didn't get this nuance in the docs either.