Community discussions

MikroTik App

Mactrekr
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sangoma Nightmare

Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:26 am

Ok, I'm now on my second Sangoma S5148 t1 single port card. Qwest (our T1 provider) says they can't see it, and I can't ping out from it. I have successfully used the Sangoma S5147 dual port on an identical system and have had no problems with it. Qwest says it's like the card isn't there, but I've tested the line from end to end and when I put a loopback plug on the T1 line they immediately get a response. Am I missing something? I'm using RouterOS 2.9.14 on this system and the system that is currently working. I'm pulling my hair out. I've already worked through the issues with configureing the Sangoma card through the command line interface instead of WinBox, and still no joy. ARRGGGHHHH!

Any input greatly appreciated.
Mac

jarosoup
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:49 am

Does your single port card show 2 interfaces? The one I got (I think the same model) did show 2 even though there was only 1. I configured the first one and it seemed to work okay. I think someone mentioned that disabling then re-enabling it required a reboot for it to come up. I have not tested this card with 2.9 yet, just 2.8.28. Wish I could offer more help...

variable
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:30 pm

i have a 5148 running on 2.9.18 and its working fine. mine also shows two interfaces, i had to configure the first one via cmd line and just disabled the second one. works fine for me.

Mactrekr
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:38 am

Variable, can you tell me a little about your T1? I'm not running a smart jack. Just 2 pair terminated at an RJ-48 jack. My S5147 2port card is on a smart jack. Unfortunately I can't seem to find any system status indicators in Mikrotik OS to tell me what the status of my sync is.
Mac

variable
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:44 am

ah, i do know for sure that i am on a smartjack.

Mactrekr
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:15 pm

ah, i do know for sure that i am on a smartjack.
Thanks Variable,

Anyone else out there using this Sangoma POS? S5417 card? If so, I'm using this on a straight through 2 pair "dumb" jack. (Dumb jack) is basically just twisted pair terminated to a jack and then ethernet cable into my Sangoma card. I'm pulling my hair out and don't know what to do.
Mac

variable
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:45 pm

what exactly does a smartjack card do then? cause i remember specifically them installing it, i thought it was just something so that they could test the line more easily, does it actually condition the line too?

Mactrekr
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:13 am

what exactly does a smartjack card do then? cause i remember specifically them installing it, i thought it was just something so that they could test the line more easily, does it actually condition the line too?
Just finished talking to a techie guy about that, as I understand it, True T-1 runs on 2 pairs. Each with TIP/Ring. Most locations can't afford to use or don't have available 2 pairs, as best I can figure it, the smart jack uses a single pair coming in, and then using it's processor, it seperates the data and spits it out in true T1 config. At least that's how it was explained to me.

Mac

Mactrekr
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:27 am

Well, I've given up on this damn Sangoma card and will NEVER use them again. I've got a PC300 cyclades card on it's way down to me on loan from a buddie and am buying a cisco router 2700? What a pain. The sangoma has no LED's and RouterOS doesn't provide you with any status indication. Bad combo.
Mac