MikroTik App

littlebill
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

RB2011 required 6.x code. what the #$^$

Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:54 am

i got to say im slightly annoyed.

i have standardized on 5.26. so when my new 2011 showed up. i immediately went from 6.1 to 5.26 and click downgrade. which completely corrupted the unit.

i then spent the next 3 hours trying to get netinstall to work. which finally after multiple iterations it did. and decide to corrupt again. at which point i started googling to find out a small single post indicating the new 2011 with the beeper require 6.x code

WHAT THE $$%^&*((***(

can you guys at least indicate that somewhere, in downloads or on the product page????

not everyone runs latest code.....

vent over....

macgaiver
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: RB2011 required 6.x code. what the #$^$

Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:17 am

As far as i can remember - they announced that all SFP related stuff (DDMI support etc) will be added only to RouterOS v6. RB2011 mostly comes with SFP, so welcome to RouterOS v6.x :)

For single core devices i had no real issues with v6.x, so you may relax.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:34 am

I'm sorry that you experienced this.

From now on, please remember, never downgrade a unit below the version is came with.

Ivoshiee

Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:02 am

From now on, please remember, never downgrade a unit below the version is came with.
A good advice to give, but somewhat troublesome to follow. In case of the v6 series of the ROS all I see is a too much a moving target and thus a big failure so far. No confidence can be placed on it and I do not see how it can remedy itself in the long run as well. Actually the same goes to the v5 series as well, but at least it has been out for much longer and issue count is much more limited.
Btw: I just bricked a RB2011L by upgrading from v5.24 to v5.26. Reset pressing does not a thing and I see no console or whatnot, so it is a brick.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:03 am

A good advice to give, but somewhat troublesome to follow. In case of the v6 series of the ROS all I see is a too much a moving target and thus a big failure so far. No confidence can be placed on it and I do not see how it can remedy itself in the long run as well. Actually the same goes to the v5 series as well, but at least it has been out for much longer and issue count is much more limited.
Btw: I just bricked a RB2011L by upgrading from v5.24 to v5.26. Reset pressing does not a thing and I see no console or whatnot, so it is a brick.
Did you try Netinstall?

Ivoshiee

Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:50 pm

Did you try Netinstall?
Not yet - the Windows machine is hard to find and getting the Netinstall under Linux is troublesome.
Why don't you provide a native Linux tools?

Edit:
Netinstall+reset to defaults did the trick. Second try to get v5.26 on was successful. So it is somewhat strange what went wrong with regular upgrade - as much I saw the GB portion of ports did light up when the LAN cable was connected, but 100Mbps side was dark even the laptop side was shining.
Last edited by Ivoshiee on Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

siscom
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:05 pm

Hi All,

Maybe Mikrotik could make this a bit more 'idiot proof' by either printing the RoS version on the sticker that is attached to each board and enclosure (if this is the case) or at least bury the original RoS level version into the the actual firmware that is factory loaded. When one has quite a few hundred units, trying to even remember what version a particular board came with is a nightmare and may well be impossible.

Just my 1 cent.....

Rgds,
Mark.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:17 am

Hi All,

Maybe Mikrotik could make this a bit more 'idiot proof' by either printing the RoS version on the sticker that is attached to each board and enclosure (if this is the case) or at least bury the original RoS level version into the the actual firmware that is factory loaded. When one has quite a few hundred units, trying to even remember what version a particular board came with is a nightmare and may well be impossible.

Just my 1 cent.....

Rgds,
Mark.
What would be the purpose of this? The advice is simply to not put old versions on any unit.

siscom
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:42 am

Hi Normis,

Simple scenario -

RB750 shipped from Mikrotik with RoS Version 5.17 :
User upgrades to 5.20 - all ok
User then upgrades to 5.24 - all ok but a bit unsure
User then upgrades to 5.26 - something screws up ....
User decides to downgrade to ORIGINAL Ros Version - now what the hell was it 5.20, 5.19, 5.17 or 5.14 ????

That is what I meant.

Therefore, to avoid bricked units and since your or Mikrotik's "advice" seems to be "is simply to not put old versions on any unit", if the shipped RoS version number is burnt onto the board at production stage, is should simply be made impossible to downgrade.

User just sees an entry in the log saying e.g. "Unable to downgrade - uploaded .NPK version not recent" if one tries to downgrade beyond the original RoS.

Have a good day,
Rgds,
Mark.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:50 am

Hi Normis,

Simple scenario -

RB750 shipped from Mikrotik with RoS Version 5.17 :
User upgrades to 5.20 - all ok
User then upgrades to 5.24 - all ok but a bit unsure
User then upgrades to 5.26 - something screws up ....
User decides to downgrade to ORIGINAL Ros Version - now what the hell was it 5.20, 5.19, 5.17 or 5.14 ????

That is what I meant.

Therefore, to avoid bricked units and since your or Mikrotik's "advice" seems to be "is simply to not put old versions on any unit", if the shipped RoS version number is burnt onto the board at production stage, is should simply be made impossible to downgrade.

User just sees an entry in the log saying e.g. "Unable to downgrade - uploaded .NPK version not recent" if one tries to downgrade beyond the original RoS.

Have a good day,
Rgds,
Mark.
In newer products, version information is included in the QuickGuide: http://i.mt.lv/routerboard/files/rb951U ... 142242.pdf
This document is now also included in every product package.

midnightman
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:13 pm

We have problem with upgrade RB2011 to ROS 6.5 . After upgrade from 5.XX routerboard is not accesible. Ethernet port is going UP/DOWN in 40seconds interval. Winbox shows "logging in..." and nothing.....

WTF? Thanks.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:18 am

We have problem with upgrade RB2011 to ROS 6.5 . After upgrade from 5.XX routerboard is not accesible. Ethernet port is going UP/DOWN in 40seconds interval. Winbox shows "logging in..." and nothing.....

WTF? Thanks.
How did you make the upgrade? Which file did you upload and how (FTP or Winbox)?

To restore it, you will have to use Netinstall. Run this program on your PC, connected directy to router via Eth1 port. Turn off the RB2011, push it's reset button, turn it on, keep holding the button until the user LED starts flashing, when LED stops flashing, release the button. Netinstall program will detect it, and will allow you to reinstall it. This time, re-download the package file from our webpage, in case the previous time they were somehow corrupted.

midnightman
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:05 pm

Thanks normis....

but....router was rebooting for 2-3 hours (cca). We want to change it today..but today was everything OK (uptime was 10 hours), I can normally acces the router, in log was "router rebooted".

I try to make another upgrade to ROS 6.6. Still same....

router rebooting in 20sec interval, eth port UP/DOWN. I let them pass....After 5 hours you can acces the router again. I tried to make system-reboot. Same sitution.....hours of rebooting. Then, when router became accesible I made downgrade to ROS 5.25 and no problem with 5.25,,,,Its very strange.

I made upgrade bia Winbox :)