Community discussions

MikroTik App

hci
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

AMD64 vs. P4

Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:55 pm

Does an AMD64 perform much better then a P4 running a heavilly loaded Mikrotik router? I have a 2.6Ghz P4 with 3 T1 cards running as a transparent cache also and CPU load is high. Its has 1Gig of SDRAM.

Matthew

jp
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:59 pm

MT isn't 64bit, but AMD64 is real good at running 32 bit stuff. It should be pretty high performance, but I'm not sure exactly how it would compare to the 2.6ghz p4. If should not be too expensive to try with the low price of 64 bit semprons and athlons. If it doesn't work out, put linux and squid on the new machine, and offload the caching to that.

NetTraptor
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:40 am

Why did you open another thread asking the same things and of course the obvious!
Performance is much better on an AMD64 since its different and more advanced architecture. After all generation wise it’s newer than a P4.
But your problem is not there…. I believe you have to check your config Hardware/Software. I find difficult to believe that you can kneel a 2,6GHz P4 with max 4,6Mbit proxied-nated traffic. I am sitting back and thinking what sort of machines do large ISPs have for this sort of task? 8)
Maybe we can help if we have some more info…