Community discussions

MikroTik App

karyal
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

unable to make bgp redistribute routes (2.9.20 routing-test)

Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:27 pm

Hi, i'm trying to solve a bgp configuration problem..
I have three routerboard, A,B and C

A is connected to B, B is connected to A and C, C is connected to B

I've set up a bgp session between A and B, B and A, B and C, C and B, and are established.
I've set redistribution of connected, static routes and "other bgp".

The problem i have is i do not seem to be able to redistribute routes through the network.
Router A has in its routing table his own routes and the one directly connected to router B, but router C routes are not propagated to A.
Router B has all the routes, those connected to router A and those connected to router C.
Router C (as router A) has just his own routes, and directly connected to B, but does not receive the routes managed by router A.

I've been looking around for examples, with no luck, and tried almost any combination of options that could come to my mind, but no luck.

I really need a help (or at least where to find enough documentation to understand what i'm missing).
Thanks,
Ricky

changeip
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:48 pm

Post /routing configs for each router otherwise we'll all be shooting in the dark trying to guess how you have it configured.

Sam

karyal
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:57 pm

Post /routing configs for each router otherwise we'll all be shooting in the dark trying to guess how you have it configured.

Sam

Yup... here's is it (actual state after all the different tests)
I'm pretty sure is something i'm missing but i cannot find what =/
I did try with almost any options (including enable the route reflection and the client route reflect) but with no results..

Router B

/ routing filter 
add chain=all prefix=0.0.0.0 prefix-length=0 invert-match=no action=passthrough comment="" disabled=no 
/ routing ospf 
set router-id=0.0.0.0 distribute-default=never redistribute-connected=no redistribute-static=no redistribute-rip=no \
    redistribute-bgp=no metric-default=1 metric-connected=20 metric-static=20 metric-rip=20 metric-bgp=20 
/ routing ospf area 
set backbone area-id=0.0.0.0 type=default translator-role=translate-candidate authentication=none disabled=no 
/ routing bgp instance 
set default name="default" as=34695 router-id=192.168.1.254 redistribute-static=yes redistribute-connected=yes \
    redistribute-rip=no redistribute-ospf=no redistribute-other-bgp=yes out-filter=all client-to-client-reflection=no \
    disabled=no 
add name="192.168.3.1" as=34695 router-id=192.168.3.1 redistribute-static=yes redistribute-connected=yes \
    redistribute-rip=no redistribute-ospf=no redistribute-other-bgp=yes out-filter=all client-to-client-reflection=no \
    disabled=no 
/ routing bgp peer 
add instance=default remote-address=192.168.1.1 remote-as=34695 tcp-md5-key="" multihop=no route-reflect=no hold-time=3m \
    ttl=1 in-filter=all out-filter=all disabled=no 
add instance=default remote-address=192.168.3.254 remote-as=34695 tcp-md5-key="" multihop=no route-reflect=no hold-time=3m \
/ routing rip 
set redistribute-static=no redistribute-connected=no redistribute-ospf=no redistribute-bgp=no metric-static=1 \
    metric-connected=1 metric-ospf=1 metric-bgp=1 update-timer=30s timeout-timer=3m garbage-timer=2m 
/ routing rip interface 
add interface=all receive=v2 send=v2 authentication=none authentication-key="" key-chain="" in-filter="" out-filter="" \
    disabled=no 

Router A

#
/ routing filter 
add chain=all prefix=0.0.0.0 prefix-length=0 invert-match=no action=passthrough \
    comment="" disabled=no 
/ routing ospf 
set router-id=0.0.0.0 distribute-default=never redistribute-connected=no \
    redistribute-static=no redistribute-rip=no redistribute-bgp=no \
    metric-default=1 metric-connected=20 metric-static=20 metric-rip=20 \
    metric-bgp=20 
/ routing ospf area 
set backbone area-id=0.0.0.0 type=default translator-role=translate-candidate \
    authentication=none disabled=no 
/ routing bgp instance 
set default name="default" as=34695 router-id=192.168.1.1 \
    redistribute-static=yes redistribute-connected=yes redistribute-rip=no \
    redistribute-ospf=no redistribute-other-bgp=yes out-filter=all \
    client-to-client-reflection=no disabled=no 
/ routing bgp peer 
add instance=default remote-address=192.168.1.254 remote-as=34695 \
    tcp-md5-key="" multihop=no route-reflect=no hold-time=3m ttl=1 \
    in-filter=all out-filter=all disabled=no 
/ routing rip 
set redistribute-static=no redistribute-connected=no redistribute-ospf=no \
    redistribute-bgp=no metric-static=1 metric-connected=1 metric-ospf=1 \
    metric-bgp=1 update-timer=30s timeout-timer=3m garbage-timer=2m 
/ routing rip interface 
add interface=all receive=v2 send=v2 authentication=none authentication-key="" \
    key-chain="" in-filter="" out-filter="" disabled=no

Router C

/ routing filter 
add chain=all prefix=0.0.0.0 prefix-length=0 invert-match=no action=passthrough comment="" disabled=no 
/ routing ospf 
set router-id=0.0.0.0 distribute-default=never redistribute-connected=no redistribute-static=no redistribute-rip=no \
    redistribute-bgp=no metric-default=1 metric-connected=20 metric-static=20 metric-rip=20 metric-bgp=20 
/ routing ospf area 
set backbone area-id=0.0.0.0 type=default translator-role=translate-candidate authentication=none disabled=no 
/ routing bgp instance 
set default name="default" as=34695 router-id=192.168.3.254 redistribute-static=yes redistribute-connected=yes \
    disabled=no 
/ routing bgp peer 
add instance=default remote-address=192.168.3.1 remote-as=34695 tcp-md5-key="" multihop=no route-reflect=no hold-time=3m \
/ routing rip 
set redistribute-static=no redistribute-connected=no redistribute-ospf=no redistribute-bgp=no metric-static=1 \
    metric-connected=1 metric-ospf=1 metric-bgp=1 update-timer=30s timeout-timer=3m garbage-timer=2m 
/ routing rip interface 
add interface=all receive=v2 send=v2 authentication=none authentication-key="" key-chain="" in-filter="" out-filter="" \
    disabled=no

Thanks,
Ricky

changeip
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:42 am

Without spending too much time ..

I'd check the second instance on router B. . . you have { add name="192.168.3.1" } - but you are not using this instance in a peer, so both peers on router B are using the same router-id instead of the ones you want.

If you don't want any filtering try just removing them. Having a passthru rule - i am not sure what affect this has. Or is this to passthru the default route? If you don't want the default route maybe do a reject or discard instead.

You can turn on debug logging for BGP to see whats happening... maybe the router are coming in but not getting used because of some other reason. I like to use BGP and RAW or PACKET topics and send them to syslog so I can figure it out.

So Router B knows all, but A and C don't see each others routes?

Sam

karyal
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:28 am

Without spending too much time ..

I'd check the second instance on router B. . . you have { add name="192.168.3.1" } - but you are not using this instance in a peer, so both peers on router B are using the same router-id instead of the ones you want.
ok, so i should create an instance for any peer? i'm used to quagga, and this is not needed... i'll try that

If you don't want any filtering try just removing them. Having a passthru rule - i am not sure what affect this has. Or is this to passthru the default route? If you don't want the default route maybe do a reject or discard instead.

I don't need any filter, i added the filter in one of the test to see if it was needed for some rsasons .. il will remove it
You can turn on debug logging for BGP to see whats happening... maybe the router are coming in but not getting used because of some other reason. I like to use BGP and RAW or PACKET topics and send them to syslog so I can figure it out.
I'll try this too..
So Router B knows all, but A and C don't see each others routes?

Sam
exactly...
bye,
ricky