markom
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

more trunk ports

Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:09 pm

I have one problem.
I have vlan 20,30,40 and 50 on my eth1 on mikrotik router
I have create bridge1 and assign eth2 and vlan20, then new bridge2 with eth3 and vlan30 ... that way I created access ports for my devices.

My question is, how to create on ethX as new trunk port but not with all vlanas but only with vlans 20 and 50?

efaden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: more trunk ports

Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:18 pm

Just create a vlan with whatever the id on ethx and then bridge it in with the other vlans

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

markom
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:20 am

I don't want to create new vlan. other office should just receive vlans 20 and 50 and they are attached to eth5 of MT.
When I try to add vlan20 ( vlan20 is already in bridge_access with eth2 ) to new bridge with eth5 I receive message "couldn't add new bridge port - device already added as bridge port"

I know how to do it with cisco:
switch(config)# int fa0/5
switch(config-if)# switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
switch(config-if)# switchport mode trunk
switch(config-if)# switchport trunk allowed vlan 20,50
switch(config-if)# exit
switch(config)# exit
switch#

efaden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:52 am

Post your export

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

markom
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:06 am

ok I will send but now I cant because some od elements are in production. Tomorrow I wall generate config in lab on new RB and send You but I don't need the solution, I have asked primary for advice of concept.

efaden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:49 am

ok I will send but now I cant because some od elements are in production. Tomorrow I wall generate config in lab on new RB and send You but I don't need the solution, I have asked primary for advice of concept.
I answered the concept... VLANS on mikrotiks are a bit odd....

ros code

/interface vlan
add name=vlan10-ether1 interface=ether1
add name=vlan10-ether5 interface=ether5

/interface bridge
add name=bridge-vlan10 

/interface bridge port
add interface=vlan10-ether1 bridge=bridge-vlan10
add interface=vlan10-ether5 bridge=bridge-vlan10
add interface=ether2 bridge=bridge-vlan10
That will give you a "trunk" port on ether1 and ether5 that contain vlan10 as tagged traffic... and ether2 as an access port for vlan10

But like I said... it is hard for me to know exactly what your issue is without seeing it.

efaden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:56 am

Other thing to note is that depending on the model of mikrotik you have and the features of your switch chip you may be able to do it at wirespeed using the switch chip features. Bridging as above requires the use of the CPU

markom
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:58 am

Ok for now I am living concept for vlans with bridging (old school) because throughput is on degradation.
I can't get not even near 1Gbps access port -> trunk port with I7 PC on access port.

On cisco gigabit port access port, i7 PC, have 100MB/s to my test server and on my mikrotik CRS I cant get no more then 70MB/s

I will try now official manual for setup.
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:CRS_examples

even TP-LINK L2 switch 3424 can make 100-105 MB/s to test server from (i7 PC) access port via trunk port to test server.

After building new configuration I will post resaults

markom
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:16 am

Ok , now is late, I have working all day. The progress has been made. On CRS just use switch with L2 switching and not bridging. finally everything working on 1Gbps.

tomorrow evening I will post whole process an results with bandwidth tests.

We are finally replaced our 2950 (first of many ) with crs. this was test example.

markom
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:55 pm

New information's, after 1-2h working normal trunk port wont go over 10Mbps. Ether link status say connected at 1Gbps ---> cisco 3750 switch say connected at 1Gbps full duplex but traffic is terrible. I can't reboot switch until tomorrow but I will. After all even if reboot help, that situation is not good for production as L3 switch.

Second big problem for me is MRTG. Because all access ports are in master port trunk. All Ethernet show same traffic. Not good because I must to have each client bandwidth MRTG.

For now, old school of making vlans trunk and access, like on older RB450G, is safer solution But in that constellation I cant get no more then 25MBps (~200 Mbps) access port <---> trunk port. Mrtg's in that configuration is ok.

I cant still find what is a goal with CRS it just don't work OK. From my point of view CRS is half product.
Configuring vlans on switch chip with concept of Mikrotik Co. is just not good. Long time I am working with cisco and recent with TP-LINK and cisco is always best solution and TP-LINK just working.
I have submitted ticket to mikrotik support and waiting for some new info, but from my opinion CRS should have totally different winbox configuration and CLI ecosystem more like cisco.

samsung172
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:12 am

The CRS is announced as a smart router switch. ITs not a pure switch. To use a router to switch, you will find odd config, and or strange setup.

A routeros device is in my opinion a really good layer3 product, but far from a full l2 product. l2,5 (MPLS) Is the way to go, to have performance in routeros pushing traffic between 2 interfaces.

To have vlanx from interface y, to interface z, and have 100% performance, stop using a router device. Use a switch.

This is the same in cisco, juniper, extreme etc. Eatch product to the job its made to do. A tractor is nice on the field. But maybe not so good at the highway. But still working. A ferari is good at a highway, but what you want to use on a field. (Was it Volvo, that is ok to both?? :P )

To use vlan in mikrotik, You have to think a bit strange. In a switch, its most liekly the switch make a internal "bridge" the first time a vlan is added. After adding vlan y to port X, you can just put it (the vlan) to wherever port you want, and have it out here. In Routeros World, You have to do it manualy. Fist tag it in, tag it in a bridge to connect to another port, and finaly, bridge it to the interface it self, to have it as access, or bridge the same vlan on two interfaces, to have it tagged.