Community discussions

MikroTik App

trs80
Topic Author

PPtP client-side routes

Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:48 am

I have an MT pptp server configured to accept client connections from a few Windows XP systems.

I want to make it so Windows uses the pptp connection to route to networks that are connected to the MT, and to use whatever default gateway it had before establishing the pptp connection (i.e., "use default gateway on remote network" is disabled in the windows pptp connection properties).

I can do this by adding a persistent route to XP's route table, but I'd like to have the route added automatically when someone connects, instead of having to do it manually.

The "routes" parameter under ppp-secret adds routes to the MT's route table, and i don't see any other parameters in the ppp and pptp sections to do this -- is it even possible on MT?

wildbill442
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 04, 2006 5:47 pm

Have you done this?
Finally, the proxy APR must be enabled on the 'Office' interface:

[admin@RemoteOffice] interface ethernet> set Office arp=proxy-arp
[admin@RemoteOffice] interface ethernet> print
Flags: X - disabled, R - running
# NAME MTU MAC-ADDRESS ARP
0 R ToInternet 1500 00:30:4F:0B:7B:C1 enabled
1 R Office 1500 00:30:4F:06:62:12 proxy-arp
[admin@RemoteOffice] interface ethernet>
There's a typo in the documentation BTW.. "APR" should be "ARP". :)

REF: http://www.mikrotik.com/docs/ros/2.9/in ... t#5.29.6.2

wildbill442
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 04, 2006 6:06 pm

I'm going to follow this up with a question of my own so I can better understand this.. I'm setting up a similar situation.. I'm trying to connect to CPE devices with local addresses remotely using PPTP. Why is it that you need to enable proxy-arp on the LAN or destination network interface?

And how do you pass route paramaters to the client? Or is this not needed if Proxy-ARP is enabled on the LAN interface? The field for routes in the PPP section just creates a dynamic route on the router and doesn't seem to be of any use in this particular application. The interface always comes up as "<unknown>" for the dynamic route in the routing table. The client route table still has no way of knowing how to access say, 192.168.0.0/16...

joeri91942
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri May 05, 2006 8:21 am

Hi all

To do this you must provide the IP addresses for the incoming machines from a DHCP server that provides option 121, classless static route.

With that you can add address/subnet pairs that are sent to the client and imported into its route table

/Jörgen

changeip
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri May 05, 2006 3:44 pm

joeri91942, you are right - however the pptp server in MT does not use the dhcp-service, it hands them directly from the ip-pool and gives no option to use dhcp options... I wish it did as we will really need this when we start offering our new products.

Sam

wildbill442
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri May 05, 2006 5:40 pm

joeri91942, you are right - however the pptp server in MT does not use the dhcp-service, it hands them directly from the ip-pool and gives no option to use dhcp options... I wish it did as we will really need this when we start offering our new products.

Sam
I second that! :)

I've configured PPTP servers on a variety of different networking devices, and Mikrotik's the first I've seen that doesn't use a DHCP server.