MikroTik App

nerdtron
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Radius authentication

Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:03 am

Hi all,
I was setting up a Radius server today for use by the hotspot in mikrotik RB951Ui. It seems to be working as I was able to authenticate a few test users on the landing page of mikrotik hotspot.
My questions is, after I authenticate the user, what is the default time before they need to authenticate again?
Also, is there a way to force disconnect after a certain period of time, say 30 minutes?

Thanks for your help

samsung172
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Radius authentication

Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:25 am

nerdtron
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:27 am

Thanks. Yes I'm aware of these. But as far as I understood, you define the profile that the router assigns on a user is defined on the router. Is it possible to define the "session-timeout" of a user from the radius server? I mean, the radius server will push settings to the mikrotik router depending on each user who authenticates.
I'm using mysql for radius.
Thanks again.

emsed1
just joined

Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:17 pm

Hi there,

I don't know if this will help but it's something I'm working on as well.

If you use FreeRADIUS with MySQL you can enable the "Disconnect Message" part (I'd have to look but it's in the wiki at freeradius.org) and then enable incoming RADIUS on the Mikrotik under the RADIUS section.

It's my understanding that FreeRADIUS can disconnect a client on the NAS (MikroTik) by "pushing" a disconnect message back to them based on your needs.

If you are using the MikroTik itself for RADIUS I believe there is a session timeout in Hotspot, maybe under profiles... I can dig some more if you like.