Community discussions

prd0000
just joined
Topic Author

Best protocol for site to site with dynamic IP

Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:43 am

Hi,

I currently have OpenVPN UDP in both gateway, but it seems I won't get it on Mikrotik. One of connection is dynamic, but is registered on no-ip network, and the other is static and has dns on our domain. Now, I don't need any fancy encryption or anything since we use https, but we need reliability and speed above everything. It's best if we can do something like LZO compression we had with OpenVPN as we mostly use text data to transfer between site, e.g email, webapps, etc.

How about speed difference between TCP OpenVPN in Mikrotik and UDP+LZO one?

Ibersystems
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Best protocol for site to site with dynamic IP

Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:22 pm

You can try SSTP
Martín
martinruiz at ibersystems.es
Experto en redes WiFi y enlaces WiFi.

Facebook: @Ibersystems
Twitter: @Ibersystems

Certified in Traffic Shaping, Wireless, Internetworking, Routing and User Management.
MTCTCE - MTCWE - MTCINE - MTCUME - MTCRE

efaden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Best protocol for site to site with dynamic IP

Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:53 pm

Hi,

I currently have OpenVPN UDP in both gateway, but it seems I won't get it on Mikrotik. One of connection is dynamic, but is registered on no-ip network, and the other is static and has dns on our domain. Now, I don't need any fancy encryption or anything since we use https, but we need reliability and speed above everything. It's best if we can do something like LZO compression we had with OpenVPN as we mostly use text data to transfer between site, e.g email, webapps, etc.

How about speed difference between TCP OpenVPN in Mikrotik and UDP+LZO one?
You can use whatever you want. Personally I use EOIP/IPSec between multiple sites all with dynamic IPs. A script runs on each site every 5 minutes and updates the endpoints if they change.