MikroTik App

Duduhandelman
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

CRS Routing?

Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:50 pm

HI All,
Just got my first CRS. it looks very promising, the LCD is a nice thing to have on a switch instead of a name label and IP also the port infor is great.

And it is silent as well:D

One thing I'm not sure is where is the layer 3 switching? should I configure IP the normal way, once I do that I'm able to connect with Winbox so it goes to the cpu.

It looks like a very nice layer 2 switch with a small router.

THG

Re: CRS Routing?

Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:36 pm

One thing I'm not sure is where is the layer 3 switching? should I configure IP the normal way, once I do that I'm able to connect with Winbox so it goes to the cpu.
Default configuration for my devices were:

ether1-gateway=wan
sfp1-gateway=wan
bridge1-local=lan

Switch Port 1 and SFP goes to Internet and the rest of the ports goes to lan devices.

Duduhandelman
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:23 pm

True this is the default configuration.
But this routing is done by software.
I was under the impression that basic routing will be done by hardware.

THG

Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:26 am

I was under the impression that basic routing will be done by hardware.
Do you mean hardware fast path? I do not think that this feature is complete yet, or available for this product.

Here is what normis wrote about it.

http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php ... 02#p394402

Duduhandelman
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:58 am

Thanks.
There is something strange in the title of the product a layer 3 switch.

From wikipedia
The only difference between a layer 3 switch and router is the way the administrator creates the physical implementation. Also, traditional routers use microprocessors to make forwarding decisions, and the switch performs only hardware-based packet switching. However, some traditional routers can have other hardware functions as well in some of the higher-end models. Layer 3 switches can be placed anywhere in the network because they handle high-performance LAN traffic and can cost-effectively replace routers. Layer 3 switching is all hardware-based packet forwarding, and all packet forwarding is handled by hardware ASICs. Layer 3 switches really are no different functionally than a traditional router and perform the same functions, which are listed here.

Don't get me wrong the CRS sounds like a great product with no documentation for now.

barkas
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: AW: CRS Routing?

Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:42 am

HI All,
Just got my first CRS. it looks very promising, the LCD is a nice thing to have on a switch instead of a name label and IP also the port infor is great.

And it is silent as well:D

It looks like a very nice layer 2 switch with a small router.
as discussed elsewhere here, that is really what it is.

ARBEIT ANGST KONSUMTERROR