Community discussions

MikroTik App

lsettembri
Topic Author

Speedtest.net - How to bypass

Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:08 pm

Hi and thank you for reading!

I'm new at this, I'm at the moment doing Qos via queue tree and simple queues. The problem is that my customers fell under the queue tree when downloading on heavy connections and therefore the same rule applies when they do a speedtest at speedtest.net.

I'm looking into having some rules that would make them bypass the queue tree when doing this test.

Does anyone know how to do this? Please?

Thanks again!

hwmonkey
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Speedtest.net - How to bypass

Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:05 pm

Queues that would in one way or another incorporate:
/ip firewall layer7-protocol
add comment="Speedtest" name=speedtest-servers regexp="^.*(get|GET).+speedtest.*\%CONTENT%quot;

lsettembri
Topic Author

Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:09 pm

/ip firewall layer7-protocol
add comment="Speedtest" name=speedtest-servers regexp="^.*(get|GET).+speedtest.*\%CONTENT%quot;
Thanks for the reply! Could you please just explain what does the rule do? Thanks again!

lsettembri
Topic Author

Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:17 pm

Thank you hwmonkey!

Would you mind explaining what does this rule do?

Thank you again!

hwmonkey
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:47 pm

Read about layer-7 protocol. By itself, the rule will do nothing valuable (and it looks like the end quote got messed up when I posted the code here). What you want to look at doing is tagging packets based on the layer-3 inspection, mangle, and then creating a queue rule that allows these packets (marked with the speedtest tag created by the rule) to go at full-speed.

I have not done this. I have no experience doing this yet for I have not had time to mess with it, but conceptually, this is the right direction to be going.

Hope that is enough to get you going in the right direction. Post a result after you have it worked out and tested!

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:IP/Firewall/L7
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Queue
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:IP/Firewall/Mangle

hendra
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:32 pm

please how to block speedtest.net in mikrotik for :
1. website
2. app in android

thanks for your reply

erkexzcx
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:43 pm

This is what I would do:
1. Use "nslookup speedtest.net" to resolve to IP address.
2. Take a single IP address and google it. Find "ipinfo.io" website in results and check it. Find "ASHandle" value and check it. In this case I've ended up with this link https://ipinfo.io/AS54113 for speedtest.net.
3. Scroll down a bit and find list of IP networks. Put them into Mikrotik's address-list. Use excel or anything to generate address-list rules and execute them all in terminal, so they will be bulk added.
4. Quick google suggested that this is the list of Ookla-connected servers. Time to do some data processing and exporting them to address-list rules as well. https://c.speedtest.net/speedtest-servers-static.php

That's what I would do. Or maybe #4 is enough in your case - I don't know.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:45 pm

Of course there is no guarantee that this will block ONLY speedtest.net.
It might be that "Ookla" provides other services as well. You will block them too.

Also, the result of this will depend on where you are. When I try it here. I get a completely different network, "Fastly".
Services like this use location-aware DNS that attempts to direct the traffic to more or less local servers, and this will vary over time.

hendra
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:08 pm

its fine, the only one i need is to block speedtest.net not another speedtester's web. so can u tell me how to do that ? i try so much way but it doesnt work for me

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:55 pm

I misunderstood. I did not say you would block other speedtest sites, I said that with the block method that @erkexzcx is using, you will block other sites that you cannot know beforehand.
Anyway, he explained how to do it.

erkexzcx
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:19 pm

Let's talk about NordVPN - it allows you to unblock websites & get around throttling on any crappy ISP. :) And you can't block it.

Blocking websites is not going to work.