Community discussions

MikroTik App

koMar
Topic Author

ISP cpe getting ip address with radius and dhcp server

Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:38 pm

Hi guys!
Is there someone who implemented solution that involves CPE device as pppoe client, mikrotik as pppoe server and radius client, and free radius as radius server and also dhcp server who serves ip address for clients automatically? We implemented all except dhcp server. We are thinking of doing this because that way we don't need to think about what ip address should we lease to client (when adding a user on radius server). Idea is to lease ip address from dhcp server based on username and password provided by CPE client.

Thanks!

Regards,

Marko

rickfrey
Trainer
Trainer

Re: ISP cpe getting ip address with radius and dhcp server

Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:16 am

The PPPoE will hand out IP address within Pools and the Radius will handle that without a problem. Is that what you need help with? I don't understand why you want to do PPPoE and DHCP to the same client. Can you explain that a little better, please?

koMar
Topic Author

Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:51 pm

Hi ssofet!
Thanks for the reply.
The option with pools is working fine, but you have to create pools on mikrotik router to solve this out. We would like to have pools on radius server itself, which are aware of radius database, so we don't have to search for free ip address in our customer database when adding new user profile and adding it as static ip address on ip address field. Basically, when radius client is asking radius server for parameters, radius returns that ip address but not by consulting pool on mikrotik, but pool on radius server itself.

Is there a way of doing this?

Thanks!

Regards,
Marko

rickfrey
Trainer
Trainer

Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:37 pm

Ok, I understand what you are trying to do now. To answer your question, I don't know. It would seem that it should be possible if the RADIUS server was capable of it. You would likely have to have one that uses the MikroTik API, but I don't know of one that works quite that way. Several will compliment the MikroTik very well. RADIUS Manager is one that I have alot of success with.

SurferTim
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:37 am

Do you want to issue a specific ip for each client? Then look at "Framed-IP-Address".
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:RA ... ess-Accept
FreeRADIUS can do that.

koMar
Topic Author

Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:09 pm

Hi SurferTim!

By specific you mean static? No, this is how we are doing so far. Idea is to give dynamic ip, not from pool on mikrotik, but from pool on radius itself.
Problem is that we have our database where we store data about users, and that database is our point of administration. When you do pools on mikrotik, it's more complicated to change information on database because you have to use mikrotik API to access info on mikrotik(in this case ip address that is given to pppoe client) and then alter it on database to be correct.

SurferTim
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:14 pm

If the "Framed-IP-Address" is out, then the answer is conditionally no. You would need to program the RADIUS server to access a MySQL table that would act as a dhcp server and issue an ip from that table. Are you comfortable with writing code for a RADIUS server?

koMar
Topic Author

Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:38 pm

Unfortunately no. Never done it before. How complicated is it?

SurferTim
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:40 pm

Unfortunately no. Never done it before. How complicated is it?
I think you would be better off asking that question on the RADIUS server forums. But just as a FYI, it isn't easy.

koMar
Topic Author

Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:50 pm

Ok, thought so.
Thank you.

bhumin
just joined

Wed May 28, 2014 9:30 am

hi koMar..

have you got any solution with mentioned requirement for Remote AAA+IP Pool for PPPOE Server in mikrotik.. if yes please share it with me i need same solution as i cant change/shift my DHCP server to anywhere els. as i already running PPPOE + IPoE successfully on Cisco-ASR with same radius+DHCP and it allocates ips to PPPOE clients without any conflicts.. IMO this should work with MIKROTIK also.. but i failed to do same..

please help if u do have any solution.