Community discussions

MikroTik App

usx
Topic Author

Serious Upgrade Issue RB450G | OS 5.26 -> 6.9 | FW 3.8->3.10

Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:26 pm

TL'DR: Firmare 3.10 reversed the functionality of the reset button.

Hi,

today I wanted to upgrade my RB450G to v6.

It was runing v5.26 with firmware 3.8.

I uploaded the file routeros-mipsbe-6.9.npk via the webinterface and rebooted.

Firefox wouldn't then get past the "Loading..." page, but Chrome was able to continue. I saw that the OS version got successfully upgraded to v6.9. I was no longer able to use Firefox for the web interface. This seemed to be a minor issue as Firefox's console complained [18:32:39.242] TypeError: gums.name is undefined @ http://192.168.10.1/webfig/engine-38af2232b0db.js:1094

I rebooted the router a couple of times, this did not fix the issue.

I checked the Routerboard tab and saw that there wa a Firmware upgrade avaliable, so I told it to upgrade from 3.8 to 3.10, and the hit reboot.

I waited for up to 3 minutes for the 450G to become avaliable again, then I thought that I must have hit the shutdown button instead. I pulled out the power plug and pushed it back in again.

No beep, no nothing, I got really pale, no internet. I tried to get access via the Serial Console, but was out of luck, which was really strange, remember, it wouldn't even no beep.

Long story short, and don't tell me how lucky I got by letting the scissor slip off the reset button shortly after pushing in the power plug in (something about pressing it 10 secs for netinstall), the router beeped once, then the port lights started flashing, it beeped twice, all was ok.

So I thought that it may have fixed itself, pulled out the plug, pushed it back in: nothing. No beep, no console, nothing.

So I pulled out the plug, pressed the reset button, plugged the power in, released the reset button, et voilá, it booted just fine.

For some reason the Firmware upgrade to 3.10 reversed the functionality of the reset button.

Now my issue is that I whenver I want to reboot the device I will need to restart it with the reset button being pressed.

BTW: After the firmware upgrade Firefox worked again.

Kind regards,
Daniel

usx
Topic Author

Re: Serious Upgrade Issue RB450G | OS 5.26 -> 6.9 | FW 3.8->

Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:02 pm

After noticing a very sluggish performance of the web interface I checked the resources, and cpu was constantly at 100.

I then went again to the Routerboard tab, pressed "Upgrade" again (from 3.10 to 3.10) and forgot about it.

Later on (maybe a minute later) in a terminal session I was having with the board I noticed a message "Firmware upgraded successfully, please reboot for changes to take effect!". So I decided to do that, and this time it rebooted without any issues, and the CPU load issue appears to have fixed itself as well.

Maybe I rebooted to soon when I made the 3.8 to 3.10 upgrade, but this is questionable. How about a hint in the web interface that one should wait until the upgrade has been applied before rebooting, possibly disabling the reboot button until the upgrade has been applied?

Kind regards,
Daniel

NathanA
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Serious Upgrade Issue RB450G | OS 5.26 -> 6.9 | FW 3.8->

Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:52 am

Read the manual...the reset button didn't get reversed by a faulty firmware upgrade. The "reset" button's primary function is to load a backup bootloader: one that is burned into ROM permanently from the factory and cannot be upgraded, but which you can fall back on when you accidentally botch the firmware upgrade. Whenever you were pressing the reset button when you powered on the device, you were instructing the backup bootloader to run instead of the corrupted one.

See page 8 where the function of this button (marked "S301") is described: http://i.mt.lv/routerboard/files/rb450GugA.pdf

For actually resetting RouterOS programming without requiring a Netinstall, there is a second item on the board, the reset jumper (marked "RESET").

-- Nathan